The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Flying cars  (Read 34665 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Flying cars
« Reply #75 on: 27/01/2009 15:33:14 »
OK, so the flight distance from London to Birmingham is 102 miles, but I have to travel 23 miles south to my nearest landing strip and the landing strip at Birmingham is 9 miles north of my destination. My 102 mile flight has been extended to 134 miles plus the 32 miles I must cover by road giving a total of 168 miles.

Time-wise this would equate to 1 hr urban driving, say 1 hr flying (assuming cross moderate wind) and say 15 30 mins waiting for a suitable take-off and landing slot. So around 2 hrs. I could do it quicker by road. OK That said, probably London to Manchester would be marginal and London to Glasgow would be quicker by air. But at what cost? What is the fuel consumption going to be by air, compared to road?

As for the we I refer to, we means all of us. Like it or not we will all have to get used to using mass transport systems sooner or later. The sooner the better. We all need to travel less and be more frugal with the fuel we use, hence every auto manufacturer is doing their level best to improve fuel efficiency. What is the consumption of this?

I said this idea will never take off! Perhaps I should have said it flies in the face of all modern thinking.

Its a plaything for the rich and an occupier of the mind of dreamers.
« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 15:35:46 by Don_1 »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Flying cars
« Reply #76 on: 27/01/2009 15:44:28 »
Continuing the transport theme, I think that you are entirely right Don. When I lived in the UK, we had 2 cars and rarely used any sort of public transport. I don't need to go into details to convey the cost of this, I'm sure. Now that we are in Germany, we have 1 car, a monthly transport ticket that covers trains, trams and buses in the region (45 pm) and a well-used bike. Clearly, it is cheaper for us under the German scenario, but this has to be supported by an appropriate public oriened infrastrucure. My opinion of the UK "integrated" transport network is that it is expensive, dirty, slow and inefficient. (Please let me know if I'm wrong!) Until there is a proper incentive for people to use bikes/trams/trains/buses, there will always be this alternative option as an "answer" to the car problem. 

(Edit) And that incentive should not be based on how expensive everything else is. It should be a positive incentive towards public transport and cycle networks, not a disincentive to use cars.
« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 15:46:41 by dentstudent »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Flying cars
« Reply #77 on: 27/01/2009 16:07:00 »
the UK "integrated" transport network....... is expensive, dirty, slow and inefficient.

You are wrong........... You missed out dangerous and unreliable.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
Flying cars
« Reply #78 on: 27/01/2009 16:11:08 »
the UK "integrated" transport network....... is expensive, dirty, slow and inefficient.

You are wrong........... You missed out dangerous and unreliable.

I sit corrected! It's even worse that I thought!

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
Flying cars
« Reply #79 on: 28/01/2009 22:17:54 »
Until there is a proper incentive for people to use bikes/trams/trains/buses, there will always be this alternative option as an "answer" to the car problem. 

I fear that as long as we wait for public transport (or any alternative to the car) to become as popular as the car, we will have to deal with people promoting the convenient, fun, clean, inexpensive, flexible and enjoyable solutions while desperately looking away from true costs for our species and society. This is not a technology problem any longer. This is a mind set problem. The solutions are often there, however we (who are used to "better") are just too good to use them or find it impossible to adjust our lives. Incentives that are acceptable by most people living the good life are most likely at a level that is not sustainable. Few Americans want to sacrifice comfort and all too often even slightly reduced comfort is equated with "living on trees again". We will need to begin doing the right thing even if it is not as enjoyable and somehow teach our children that this is not only acceptable but better.

lyner

Flying cars
« Reply #80 on: 28/01/2009 22:24:29 »
Karsten
I totally agree with you. Proponents of even more novel, private transport systems are living in the past. They need to get real.
We will never live like the Jetsons, however attractive the model may be.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Flying cars
« Reply #80 on: 28/01/2009 22:24:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums