The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Graphol  (Read 2568 times)

Offline BenVitale

• View Profile
Graphol
« on: 01/11/2007 15:17:41 »
I heard a while ago of a substance found in graphite which acts alike to it yet is a semi conductor that may replace silicon as it can be made extremely thin,I did a google search, but couldn't find any article. Could anyone provide info on graphol?

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Graphol
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/2007 16:32:34 »
Graphite is made up of layers of carbon atoms attached to one another like the corners in a tesselating hexagonal structure.
I think you are talking about Graphene which is a very thin piece of graphite with less than 10 layers the really interesting stuff occurs at 1-2 atomic layers.

People are interested in this for various reasons, it seems to have very high conductivities for a semiconductor, and electrons move through it very quickly which is important for high speed electronics. It is also stable in very small pieces so you could build minute structures out of it, and you can tune the bandgap electrically which would mean that you could build lasers that you can tune the colour very easily.

I am not sure if I can read this because I am in a university but it has a lot of detail if you are interested:
http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/v6/n3/full/nmat1849.html

Offline DrDick

• View Profile
Graphol
« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2007 18:25:20 »
I heard a while ago of a substance found in graphite which acts alike to it yet is a semi conductor that may replace silicon as it can be made extremely thin,I did a google search, but couldn't find any article. Could anyone provide info on graphol?

You can modify graphite with some materials and affect its electrical properties.  One example is the addition of potassium.  The potassium atoms will insert between the layers to form "intercalated graphite".  This is a superconductor below a certain temperature (< 1K) as are some other intercalated graphite compounds.  Even above this temperature, the conductivity of many of these metal-graphite intercalation compounds tends to be greater than that of graphite itself.

Dick

The Naked Scientists Forum

Graphol
« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2007 18:25:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums