The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Brilliant People Are A Minority ?  (Read 25522 times)

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Why Brilliant People Are A Minority ?
« Reply #75 on: 26/06/2008 19:52:58 »
Hm, it's all very cosy, all this project stuff, and it may well work wonders (if well taught, otherwise it's just a patronisng attempt to slip normal lessons through under some other heading and the bright kids will get very pissed off, can you tell what I thought of the two occasions teachers tried themes with us at school?).

However, I would be really interested in how these themes are going to incorporate the really serious feats of memory required to get to grips with a modern foreign language (the only way I've ever come across that works is regular, small vocabulary tests). Also, I don't see how something like calculus fits in (and if you're going to do science in any meaningful sense you have to learn calculus and statistics).. it's important and it has to be taught not just imbibed alongside other stuff, it needs lots of tedious examples to embed it.

I have no doubt that for English/humanities/RE/whatever it's all very lovely, but I'd want to see the details before I subjected any child of mine to that sort of teaching scheme.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 27/06/2008 18:56:38 »
Hi Rosy
This might be of interest to you with regards to this school being suitable for a child.

Against that background, the governors voted by a large majority to support a non-uniform policy for a pilot period of three years, a decision that prompted another wave of parental protest and media interest.

What sustained the decision-makers was their confidence in the students, who have responded as we thought they would. There have been no incidents of bullying relating to student dress, standards of behaviour have not fallen, designer looks have not been a feature, and a growing number of parents admit that their fears have proved groundless.

We emphasised from the start that the decision had to be based on the school's values, one of which is the importance of listening to the student voice. The majority view was that school uniform is more about control and conformity than promoting the learning of creative and questioning individuals.

We are totally committed to raising educational standards within a courteous and self-confident community of learners. This summer, our GCSE results were the best ever.

So, although it is not easy, it is still possible to challenge the prevailing orthodoxy although, of course, there are some who say it could only happen in Totnes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/main.jhtml?xml=/education/2004/10/21/tefform20.xml
« Last Edit: 27/06/2008 18:59:05 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27/06/2008 22:27:30 »
Heh, I didn't mean in this school it wasn't working/wouldn't work... more that the "pilot effect" is huge, if you're trialling a new (or rediscovered, I believe Dave's primary in the South Hams did a lot of teaching like this which he thinks worked pretty well) and interesting way of teaching it's always motivating for students and teachers and (unless it's amazingly awful, which this clearly isn't) will get great results. I was reacting more to the idea that it was *the* answer to the creativity suppressing effect of the current increasingly exam-oriented system (which I think for many subjects, including science, is very real and depressing). It sounds to me like a really good idea in many respects (I remain worried about the effect on the teaching of maths, which is mostly a skill that needs practice rather than a set of facts to learn/imbibe), but... it's always as well to check the bathwater for lurking babies.

On the other hand, I would have hated to go to a school without a strict uniform code. My uniform was hideous and I loathed it, I would have done anything for a uniform in a sensible colour (not red) with which I was allowed to wear trousers, but I hated clothes shopping more. I guess it has to do with whether kids are interested in expressing their personality through their clothes, which I wasn't (never have been)... I had other ways of doing that.

Anyway, surely challenging the prevailing orthodoxy surely is the prevailing orthodoxy in Totnes?

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27/06/2008 23:16:13 »
Your right Rosy a group punk rockers are indeed uniformed. The uniform may be different but they have followed the same dress code in the end. Totnes is an amazing place and oozes with character and characters

paul.fr

« Reply #79 on: 28/06/2008 01:00:24 »
I may be wrong here, but the title of this topic " Why Brilliant People Are A Minority ?" is not actually a question...is it? More of a statement.

Offline G E

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 10/07/2008 01:38:19 »
To get the most out of genetic intelligence, a positive environment is necessary.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 10/07/2008 11:01:47 »
Absolutely 100% correct

To get the most out of genetic intelligence, a positive environment is necessary.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #81 on: 10/07/2008 11:01:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums