The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Kidney Cancer  (Read 3037 times)

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
Kidney Cancer
« on: 06/07/2004 06:01:59 »
Hi folks the question of today is why does it seem that Kidney cancer is so darn tough in comparision to other cancers? From what I have been told Chemotherapy is more or less ineffective and radiotherapy (from observation) also seems to have little effect. Any ideas as to why this would be and has anyone heard of the types of treatment patients with this form of cancer tend to receive?

Also I heard on the radio earlier today about a study where Chinese mint was found to kill cancer cells but unfortunately didn't hear the rest of the story. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Cheers all
Tim

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Kidney Cancer
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2004 09:33:19 »
Renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer) strikes twice as many men as women and has a peak incidence at around age 60. Its incidence is rising (for reasons we don't know) and it is associated with smoking, a hereditary condition called von Hippel-Lindau syndrome, another disease called tuberous sclerosis, and also turns up more often in people with a family history of this cancer.

The disease often presents late; indeed over a third of patients already have metastases (spread of the tumour elsewhere in the body) by the time they present to the doctor.

One of the first symptoms noticed by the patient is blood in the urine, or occasionally a lump in the abdomen, but these may not be easy for a patient to pick up on until the cancer has become considerably advanced.

Part of the reason for aggressive spread is that the kidney has an excellent blood supply and often these tumours grow along inside the renal vein. Bits of the tumour, though more commonly just cells, can detach and travel with the blood stream to other parts of the body. Characteristically it spreads to the lungs (producing so-called "cannon-ball metastases" on chest x-ray) and bone. Indeed paients with renal cancer might present with a fracture because a metastasis has weakened a bone (often a vertebra in the back).

There are no magic answers. If detected early, often by accident when the patient is tested for something else, the disease can be cured by complete surgical resection.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx
« Last Edit: 06/07/2004 09:34:27 by chris »

Offline Claire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/07/2004 22:01:29 »
That's awful. Is it true that cancer of the colon is very hard to detect too? I heard that often there are no symptoms for a long time.

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/07/2004 10:17:33 »
ya its true actually colon is something which is not very necessary for life and it has long term effects and many of its cancer cells are sweeped off through defication thats why its hard to detect you will detect it only when it spreads to some other parts.

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/07/2004 21:58:07 »
colon carcinoma can actually be incredibly invasive too, so will grow and spread quickly. which coupled with the british embarassment of mentioning problems 'down there' to their doctor, is a recipe for lack of detection and high death rates. but i agree, i understand that its hard to detect anyway. probably best to eat lots of fruit and veg and try to prevent it!

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2004 17:03:16 »
The ex husband is a classic case of a cure if being caught early enough.  He went in for some GI complaint, and on the routine UA, blood was detected in his urine.  Further workup revealed an early renal cell Ca.  First an embolization was done, then the kidney removed.  20 years later, he's still alive and cancer free, although I did read somewhere that Ca of the kidney can metatasize into strange places.  Read one case of a metatasis to the eye and that was 20 years later, so the ex may not be out of the woods yet.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2004 17:03:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums