The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: There's a 23000 year cycle to the earths Orbit around the Sun !!..why ?  (Read 4027 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dear Orbit Orators,

How are you ?...I'm Ok !..thanks for asking !!

I heard recently that there is a twenty three thousand cycle to the Earths Orbit around the Sun !!

Here it is !

What is the nature of this cycle ?..what happens to the Earth ?

Should I be worried ?...cos I am !

« Last Edit: 09/11/2007 23:32:37 by neilep »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It is an orbital variation from more circular to more elliptical. It affects climate, and a lot 9of other things I am not aware of, I am sure. We are in a "more circular" phase right now. It is contributing to the warming of the climate.

Please - someone else tell me the other things this effects.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Are you talking about orbit variations ot rhe precession of the eart's axis?  All these variationa are caused by the presence of the moon and other planets in the solar system.  All planetary systems are at best metastable and will over many billions of years disrupt themselves.

You can consider it this way; every pair of objects in space is in orbit around each other. We are, of course, dominated by out solar orbit but all the others contribute a little bit to where we are. The fact that the  Moon is in orbit around the Sun and the Earth is a bit more obvious. Also, the orbit of Pluto around Neptune puts it inside and outside Neptune's solar orbit.

Offline Dick1038

• View Profile
I thought that there is a 23,000 year nutation cycle, a wobble so to speak, in the Earth's rotation. This would affect local climates.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums