The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Career in Astrophysics  (Read 4542 times)

Offline syntheticlight

• First timers
    • View Profile
Career in Astrophysics
« on: 10/11/2007 01:27:27 »
Hi all, i'm hoping for some input from anyone who feels they are in a position to give. I'm sure there are others around here who might be interested in any advice given.

I am considering going to University to study in the fields of Astrophysics and Cosmology - but, am doing a little research before hand. Could anyone clarify the oppurtunities available to someone who has a Diploma/Masters etc in this field? That is to say, when i walk out of the University with my Degree, or whatever it may be, what then? What does the average student go on to do? What is the ideal, and what is the likely, in terms of employment.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2007 09:17:05 »
When I was young I wanted very much to do this.  There are undergraduate degrees in astronomy and I chose university college London as my first choice because it had one.  The problem is that you need a really good degree to go on to research (which is not very well paid) and a degree in astronomy is not all that useful in the outside world. 
I decided to hedge my bets and on the advice of several university lecturers decided to do physics.  This is a far more marketable skill and physicists can easily find good employment because there is a big shortage of them.  When I got my degree I realised that academic life was not for me and I preferred to go into industry and innovation.  This was much to the annoyance of my university mentors who wanted me to do research.  but I have never regretted my decision and am now retired well off and still enjoying life.

OK things are very different now  compared with he early 1960's but I think that the same rules still apply. Go for the most useful degree for a career and keep your choices open.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2007 11:17:34 »
As Soul_Surfer says, physics will probably open a greater variety of doors to you, if you want to keep your options open.
If you were to study at UCL (I'm biassed because I spent 8 years there!) you'd be able to do a fair number of astronomy/space-science courses/modules while remaining within a well-grounded physics core-degree. Have a look the the UCL information/prospectus at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/silva/phys/admissions/full_time and see what you think.

lyner

Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2007 11:31:57 »
Go for Physics with a cosmological option. If you turn out to be 'good enough' you can do research and take it as far as you want - else go into the City and earns loads of money.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #4 on: 26/11/2007 13:56:11 »
Welcome to the site and I hope you get the answers you are looking for!
« Last Edit: 27/11/2007 13:07:25 by Karen W. »

lyner

Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #5 on: 26/11/2007 15:32:14 »
Ahh Karen - you're so warm and friendly.
We blokes seldom take the time to be that nice.

Offline syntheticlight

• First timers
    • View Profile
Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #6 on: 27/11/2007 12:59:23 »
SCREW U LOSER STOP SPEEKING 2 ME KK

Just kidding. Thanks. And, after much browsing of informations, i've decided on Physics with Astrophysics.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #7 on: 27/11/2007 14:23:40 »
Ahh Karen - you're so warm and friendly.
We blokes seldom take the time to be that nice.

Thanks, That was a nice thing to say.

lyner

Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #8 on: 27/11/2007 22:13:24 »
And, after much browsing of informations, i've decided on Physics with Astrophysics.
Good choice - you can keep your options open and have a good basic understanding of the Beautiful Subject by the end of the course.
Red braces and a stripy shirt - £80k in your first year of not doing Physics!
Just kidding.

Offline Totty

• First timers
    • View Profile
Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2007 23:14:28 »
Physics with astrophysics is a good choice. I was going to do physics with particle physics and cosmology at Lancaster but I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to switch university so I could study astrophysics instead. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much - I do. But it is hard though.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Career in Astrophysics
« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2007 23:14:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums