The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Temperature inside black holes.  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Dick1038

• View Profile
Temperature inside black holes.
« on: 10/11/2007 17:49:08 »
My own theory about what's inside black hole's event horizon is: It's hotter than hell. When a BH "feeds", in-falling material gets hot enough to emit x-rays.  It seems to me that this temperature would be maintained after this hot material passes through the event horizon. Thus anything that falls in is "toast".

Another thing that bothers me about black holes is that to an outside observer, time stand still at the event horizon, so anything approaching the EH would appear to stay there forever.  So, how can anything appear to fall in? But to the material passing through the EH, time is progressing normally.  Seems to me like a zero times infinity problem.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2007 22:06:43 »
I agree with you that at the initial collapse the temperature inside black holes will get very high for a while as the material collapses but the residual angular momentum will force the material into a disc and eventually a ring or even a toroidal surface and although the velocity of the material going round in the ring will be close to the velocity of light, the differential velocity will probably decrease so there will come a point when it effectively cools down.  I have discussed this concept previously on these pages and will try to find the reference to my writing.

Offline Dick1038

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2007 17:26:34 »
Would the relativistic mass of this orbiting material intensify the gravitational field of the BH? Is that where the "mass" of the BH can be in the millions to billions of Suns comes from?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2007 17:26:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums