The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If jupiter was similiarly constructed like the Earth ?  (Read 3306 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Hi Jovian Janitors,

If Jupiter was just like a big big version of Earth and had a human friendly atmosphere!

1: could we land on it ?

2: could we survive on it ?

3: what would be the escape velocity ?

...or would we just be all squished into goo ?

4: If not Jupiter.....and setting aside Mars....could we survive (pending human friendly conditions ie: atmosphere etc).....on another Planet in our solar system ?...or are we only constrained to earth mass planets...give or take ?

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If jupiter was similiarly constructed like the Earth ?
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2007 09:06:38 »
If a planet the mass of Jupiter was composed of the same materiel's as the Earth and had the same density the surface gravity would be much too high for we Humans we would be squashed.
Also landing would be a big problem due to the high escape velocity, certainly beyond our present technology.
I do not know what G force conditions we could tolerate on a permanent basis, reduced or even zero G can be tolerated for at least a year but I have never heard of any experiments about the effects of increased G over a long period

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2007 09:57:19 »
You would weigh about 2.5 times more than on earth if you could stand on the surface of Jupiter, which you could probably survive, although the surface is really an atmosphere of gasses, and not very dense. If Jupiter was made in a similar way to the earth the gravity would be about 11g on the surface which is right on the limit of what pilots can survive for a short period.

Depending how active you would want to be a strong healthy and stocky person could probably survive 1.5-2g and somewhat lower gravities, but we are certainly constrained at the top end.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/11/2007 13:44:10 »
Although we Earthlings think of the Earth as having a Nitrogen/Oxygen atmosphere an unbiased alien would think of it as having a H2O atmosphere as this covers the much greater area.
I take it that Jupiter is much the same, presumably as you drop down thru the outer layer of gas you come to a region where the pressure is high enough for it to become liquid with possibly continents pocking through like Earth.
Thank you for the calculation I was going to dig out my slide rule if no one came up with it before long. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 13/11/2007 13:44:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums