The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: SHHHHHHHH !!...How Does A Whispering Gallery Work ?  (Read 10374 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
*sheepy walks on tip toes !!..Damn stilettos!!*

Dear Librarians,library visitors  and those suffering with a sore throat !!

This is the amazing Whispering Gallery In Belfasts Wonderful City Hall !

Nice isn't it ?...notice how quietly non rowdy it is ?...apparently you can whisper against the wall of the gallery and someone with their ear to the wall can hear that whisper all the way round the other side !! (i'm talking about the top roundy section by the way)

....How do Whispering galleries work ?...

A quiet Hug & Shmish for ewe !!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
SHHHHHHHH !!...How Does A Whispering Gallery Work ?
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2007 15:26:05 »
*sigh* i wish i could see the rest of the question after the picture on your posts neil.

lyner

« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2007 18:38:17 »
The dome needs to be ellipsoidal and not circular. You have to be standing at the foci of the ellipse.
Take a piece of string from your ear (placed at one focus), to the wall and then to your partner's ear (at the other focus). You can keep the string the same length and touch every part of the wall (that's a property of ellipses - equal distances between foci).
You get a similar effect with two parabolic reflectors - common at Science parks etc.
Sound from your mouth can take many different paths between you and your partner but, because it is delayed by the same amount on all paths, all the contributions arrive in phase (at the same time). This produces constructive interference - you get it all. From your average position in your average building, the various paths produce, mostly, destructive  interference so you only get a bit of the original signal.

One way to draw an ellipse is to fix a piece of string at both ends (drawing pins) and use a pencil to pull the string taught, to form a triangle. Run the pencil around and you will find you have drawn an ellipse.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2007 00:53:40 »
*sheepy walks on tip toes !!..Damn stilettos!!*

Dear Librarians,library visitors  and those suffering with a sore throat !!

This is the amazing Whispering Gallery In Belfasts Wonderful City Hall !

Nice isn't it ?...notice how quietly non rowdy it is ?...apparently you can whisper against the wall of the gallery and someone with their ear to the wall can hear that whisper all the way round the other side !! (i'm talking about the top roundy section by the way)

....How do Whispering galleries work ?...

A quiet Hug & Shmish for ewe !!

That is beautiful.. I have never heard of a whispeing gallery before.. is it like you say kind of a library??? i don't get it!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2007 01:29:44 »
Karen !!..LOL....the actual whispering gallery is the domed structure....In the photo above it is actually where the photo is taken from.

In addition to SOPHIECENTAURS excellent post (THANK YOU SOPHIECENTAUR)..I found this entry in wiki...check it out !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whispering_gallery

LOL...my reference to Libraries was to indicate the 'whispering '...

You see..here in the UK....it's generally considered the correct protocol to be quiet in libraries !! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 12/11/2007 01:32:38 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/11/2007 02:42:06 »
Yes here too! [:I] LOL But I have never seen such a thing and I fear I still don't get it.. I will go read the links!! [:I] [:I]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/11/2007 02:48:28 »
Ok So thats very cool.. so if you go stand on the opposite side of this dome and I stand across the way I can whisper secrets the wall and you would hear it in your good ear from  clear on the other side... Thats is very cool if it is true! which I assume it is! I have never heard of such a thing..

Hey Idea.......What if we built a dome all the way around  a large state or country if you will, would a voice whispering into that wall still be heard in such a huge radius??? or is it only applicable t o a smaller building dome like this one.. I want to have a look and a whisper in that dome! That is cool!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 12/11/2007 02:48:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums