The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The truth is out there, in pictures.  (Read 147972 times)

Offline HobbesSD

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: The truth is out there, in pictures.
« Reply #75 on: 03/07/2009 20:57:59 »
I remember seing a nice high resolution image of the Pleiades star cluster in an Astronomy book in Barnes and Noble, and I was immediately captivated by it's beauty and grandeur.  I felt connected to the place i was seeing.

I've pretty much been obsessed with Astronomy ever since. :P

Offline italic eye

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 17/07/2009 10:52:47 »
Question ~ if we look back in time at ancient cosmological artifacts, then why has no one ever bothered to construct a model of what the universe looks like now? Precisely, are we inherenly swiming in a space time which will always refuse to allow us to "see" distance, or "move" through what we monkey-like call distance, space, and time? I personally think we are out of our depth, and need to interrogate the underpinnings of our mathematical system. It is sorta primitive, based as it is on assumed agreed one banana two banana intergers.

Offline GlentoranMark

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 03/08/2009 13:16:22 »
Not sure if this will come out full size as I've taken it from my phone.

This was a pic of the Moon I took back in February with a webcam and a Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT

I fixed it for ya

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 03/08/2009 14:38:38 by GlentoranMark »

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #78 on: 12/08/2009 07:47:18 »
Hi all,
I'm a passionate scientist as most of you guys here.
My field is Biotechnology, but my interests are all round.

I thought I'd share this picture with you guys: The Sun ain't all that big!
« Last Edit: 12/08/2009 07:53:48 by Nizzle »

Offline Ammiddeon

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 20/08/2009 23:02:36 »
I think it was Hubble who came up with the big bang theory. He showed that objects were traveling way from the Earth. The truth is everything is based on what we call reproduction. As far as we are aware we are the only planet to contain life. For some reason only man posseses the remarkable feat of advanced intelligence. All other life forms on Earth are limited to the amount of intelligence they have. All life on Earth as the natural function of reproducing itself. Where are your great, great, great, great, great grand children. They do not exist yet. So where are they? But we all know one day in the future they will be here. You can say the same for plants and animals. Here is the most remarkable thing of all. Stars, Planets, galaxies all reproduce themselves as well. Non of these things are alive. If Hubble could have seen beyond, what this amazing telescope named after him could see. This Big Bang theory has happened countless times. Our brains cannot concieve or understand the size of the universe just because there are dark patches in the night sky, we tend to think there is nothing there. but the truth is there is, and there are countless Big Bangs. We are in no position to measure how big the universe is. We are in the same position as Christopher Columbus was when he travelled across the Atlantic. We have no idea of whats out there, how big it is and how far away is it.Gary

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 20/08/2009 23:30:52 »

I fixed it for ya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP
« Last Edit: 20/08/2009 23:36:57 by RD »

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 23/08/2009 07:27:30 »
The Sun ain't all that big!
I notice they missed out a couple at the end.  :o

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 23/08/2009 11:14:43 »
Italic eye

There have been heroic attempts to reform the mathematical system during the twentieth century
see this URL

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/principia-mathematica/

Offline Turveyd

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 26/08/2009 23:11:40 »
Remember the galaxy quote is just what we can see,  we are looking at photon's that are so old,  there is no guarantee that there isn't much much much much more out there than those staggering figures we just can't see yet or maybe never will be able to.

I suspect there will be and the new hubble replacement they'll have to recalculate the age of the universe and all of this again.

Offline G-man

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 03/10/2009 07:21:01 »
The truth is out there, in pictures. And here are some
to prove just that!

I am able to show that Einsteinís math is fine for orbital systems of planets and their moons to solar systems and on to galaxies, and also on to the expanding of the universe.

This is NASAís way of showing that Einstein was right.
This Chandra image shows important new details in the powerful jet shooting from the quasar 3C273, providing an X-ray view into the area between 3C273's core and the beginning of the jet.High-powered jets driven from quasars, often at velocities very close to the speed of light, have long been perplexing for scientists. Instead of seeing a smooth stream of material driven from the core of the quasar, most optical, radio, and earlier X-ray observations have revealed inconsistent, "lumpy" clouds of gas*1. The recent Chandra data show a continuous X-ray flow in 3C273 from the core to the jet, which may reveal insight on the physical processes that power these jets. Scientists would like to learn why matter is violently ejected from the quasar's core, then appears to suddenly slow down.*2

*1 The cooling down of three planets.
*2 The locking into an orbit of the three planets. The making of a
     new solar system.

In my hypothesis, I fully agree with Einstein that there has to be an equal an opposite force in action here. And I see this in the action of the gravitational fields of each heavenly bodies acting as the opposite force at a given wavelength / and or a given density level, even through they are pulling on each otherís massís.

There is a lot more to this ,But that is all for now!
G-man

Offline The Craftsman

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 05/10/2009 05:21:44 »
newbielink:http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/universe.html [nonactive]

yep thats the map of the 30 billion trillion (3x10≤≤) stars we can see

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #86 on: 17/11/2009 00:01:04 »
That "map" is not genuine it contains repeated patterns although the general structure may be reasonably similar to the general shape of blobs in the universe.

Offline variationz

• View Profile
    • Fundamental Theory Of Existence.
« Reply #87 on: 26/11/2009 04:18:29 »
Our own Galaxy looks like this...

Also please do visit

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=26911.0

Our Galaxy. Stylized view of the Milky Way as seen from 100,000 light years. Acrylic on illustration board, 1988.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile

Offline Johnnyb

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 05/02/2010 10:06:32 »
The Hubble Ultra Deep Field
I think this represents what equates to a portion of the sky the size of a pinhead !!!
Each speck in this picture is a galaxy....each galaxy has about 100-300 BILLION Stars !!..and there's something like 100-300 BILLION Galaxies out there !!
Do you get it ?...can you even imagine such a thing ?...can you even fathom it ?
BEYOND COMPREHENSION !!

What may REALLY freak you out is the possibility that a Universe/Singularity may exist in the centre of each and every one of those galaxies pictured, all containing the above properties of our Universe "Ad infinitum". It's only another layer to an already incomprehensible onion! Maybe infinity is real after all. Fractal Universes!

Either way, I don't fear death when I look at that picture.
« Last Edit: 05/02/2010 10:11:20 by Johnnyb »

Offline jonathan111

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • best pheromones
« Reply #90 on: 16/02/2010 08:17:56 »
Those are some nice pictures. I wish I have a high powered telescope.

Offline khaly

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 02/03/2010 09:01:37 »
hiiii,

peaking of nature photography, have you seen the image of the new "missing link" fossil now on view at the American Museum of Natural History in New York? This fossil, which is 47 million years old, is said by scientists to the earliest human ancestor--a link between the animals that became homo sapien and other mammals. It's a controversial theory, but very exciting, and the announcement is being pumped up with considerable marketing muscle. The fossil is called Ida ("eeda"), and when you gaze at the images of it, you understand the primordial fear evoked by the creature in the Alien films.--David Schonauer

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #92 on: 02/03/2010 14:45:26 »
A couple of recent images of M31 from the new WISE space telescope:

This one, in long IR, highlights the dust and also shows that M31 is a bit warped, probably due to an ancient collision with, and the subsequent absorbsion of a smaller galaxy.

This one, in shorter IR, highlights the older stars in M31.

Higher res images and more info at the WISE website:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/WISE/main/index.html

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 11/05/2010 08:05:47 »
The dust cloud from the Icelandic volcano is clearly visible on the Noaa19 images

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #94 on: 22/06/2010 17:45:55 »
Aurora Australis Observed from the International Space Station:

Article and link to higher res image at:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=44348&src=fb

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #95 on: 19/07/2010 18:08:47 »
Wise image of the Pleiades

Article and links to high-res versions of the image at:

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA13121

Offline FatBuddhaBoo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 12/08/2010 22:56:18 »
Here's a random pic of the moon from my collection as observed with my Meade LX200R.  Someday I'll get the time and figure out the setup to do some deep space shots.

Offline CreativeEnergy

• View Profile
    • Eric's Journal
« Reply #97 on: 15/08/2010 20:06:06 »
The Wolf-Rayet star WR22 in the Carina Nebula. Taken through red, green and blue filters with the Wide Field Imager on the MPG/ESO 2.2-metre telescope at ESOís La Silla Observatory in Chile.

Offline ranji

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 04/09/2010 13:19:33 »
Got any spacey, physiccy pictures you would like to share?
well here is the place.

nebula NGC 3603. This stellar "jewel box" is one of the most massive young star clusters in the Milky Way Galaxy. NGC 3603 is a prominent star-forming region in the Carina spiral arm of the Milky Way, about 20,000 light-years away. This latest image from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope shows a young star cluster surrounded by a vast region of dust and gas. The image reveals stages in the life cycle of stars

Offline ranji

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 04/09/2010 13:23:31 »
excuse me i have a doubt . these universe pictures are far away (light years) from us.and the telescope also takes these photos .if a light has to travel to another galaxy it will take light years but how could these telescopes take the pictures of them.have they sent the flash of  photograph before hundreds of years?????

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #99 on: 04/09/2010 13:23:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums