The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Surround sound and disorientation  (Read 1960 times)

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
Surround sound and disorientation
« on: 12/11/2007 14:37:48 »
After feeling a little overwhelmed and disorientated from experiencing the effects of the surround sound system for a (not mine) flash new television, I came to wonder this:
Since I know the television is in the corner of the living room, and I should expect the source of the sound to be from that location, is it possible that after extreme prolonged use of the surround sound set-up I could ‘re-zero’ my sense of orientation through hearing, and consequently compromise my spatial coordination in the real world?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/2007 18:14:17 »
I doubt it very never know !!

I have listened and experienced hundreds of surround sound systems.....some from the basic 5.1 to more elaborate 11.1 + home speaker addition the new types of surround speakers which are all in one unit with about twenty tweeters pointing all over are quite good too.

The surround sound effects are actually very subtle...90% of the sound does in fact come from the most important speaker in the whole system....the centre channel(s) which are always above or below the screen. The effect channels are there only to provide an effect for a sound which is usually ' off screen' a circling helicopter...a rebounding bullet....a car whooshing from front to back or the other way round.

can I say though...if you were truly disorientated then either the system was not set up correctly or the system just does not work well.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 12/11/2007 18:14:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums