The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does Left or right handedness affect the absorption of knowedge ?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
I'm right handed..but eat left handed.....

Is there a right and left dominance to my eyesight and also my hearing ?

If so !!....would information being heard by my dominant ear and seen by my dominant eye be absorbed more efficiently ?

Ewe see...I just don't know....so I thought I'd ask ya !!

Whajafink ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Do you have 20 20 vision? We know your hearing is suffering but which ear became infected? Does it coinside with your less dominant hand???Wasn't it your left ear?

What is your you should check which eye is stronger do a simple eye chart check at home covering one eye not closing it but covering it closing takes more adjusting..LOL.. so cover it check the tiniest letter you can read across the room then check your other eye then see which side is dominant?

My right eye and hand are dominant but I have never had a hearing test to speak of so I cant tell which one hears better!

So far I am right handed right eyed and I can't remember if I was right or left brain I think it was about equal both sides! LOL!

My guess would be yes it would as we learn by sight and sound.. so the more you see and take in with those things maybe more dominant a memory also. That is only a guess though!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Thank you Karen for your wonderful response.

Experience dictates that your guesses are ususally ' spot on'....

So , lets hope a passing left/right-handednesss-cognitive- ability-expert passes by and calls in to comment.....that would be nice !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Its an interesting question.. I wonder if it applies to left brain right brain things.. Hey where did your other question like this go..? The pole one I can't find it!

Offline adwkiwi

• First timers
    • View Profile
So , lets hope a passing left/right-handednesss-cognitive- ability-expert passes by and calls in to comment.....that would be nice !
I'm not one because I don't think much of handedness issues, but I do know a few people who play around in this field. As far as I can tell, dominance has few functional consequences because you have two eyes, ears, hands etc and while you may be biased to use one hand, close one rather than the other eye or cock your head one way or the other, in general you are using everything all the time. So the net result is very few overt behavioural effects. Handedness is the most obvious one but it's mostly practice and the environment acting on a minor right hand bias.

My guess would be yes it would as we learn by sight and sound.. so the more you see and take in with those things maybe more dominant a memory also. That is only a guess though!
"More" is always relative. Learning doesn't just need more, it needs more of the right sort of things, ie task specific information. If handedness affected your ability to get the appropriate information, then learning would be affected, but its not, strictly speaking, handedness per se having the effect.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The Left-Handed Advantage
They May Have Higher Health Risks, But Lefties Enjoy Element of Surprise By AMANDA ONION
Feb. 17, 2005

It's not easy being a lefty.

Statistics show left-handed people are more likely to be schizophrenic, alcoholic, delinquent, dyslexic, and have Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, as well as mental disabilities. They're also more likely to die young and get into accidents. So if evolutionary theory dictates survival of the fittest, why do lefties still exist?

According to new theories, what left-handed people (and other animals) may lack in fitness, they make up by being different.

Famous Left-Handed Athletes Researchers in France recently took an interest in the disproportionately high number of left-handed athletes who thrive in sports involving direct one-on-one contact, such as baseball (think Babe Ruth), tennis (think John McEnroe) and boxing (think Oscar de la Hoya or the fictional Rocky Balboa).

Charlotte Faurie and Michel Raymond of the University of Montpellier in France figured the same reason so many left-handed people are successful in such sports could also explain a possible higher success rate among lefties in primitive combat.

This means that, back in the days when fighting was an important part of survival and winning mates, the rare left-hander may have come out on top more often.

Watch That Left Hook
Here's the thinking: Most left-handed people would be practiced in fighting right-handed people (since right-handed people make up the majority), while most right-handed fighters would not be as prepared to fight someone who favors their left side. Advantage: lefties.

"The fact that left-handers are less common means they have a surprise effect," said Faurie.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=498707&page=1

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums