The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The unicycle as a commuter vehicle.  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
The unicycle as a commuter vehicle.
« on: 14/11/2007 02:24:11 »
A newspaper article recently reported that a man communtes to his job each workday by unicycle. He reportedly said that the unicycle is a great conveyance because it can fit easily into any vehicle. That would seem to be it only virtue, however. One problem would seme to be that the unicycle can't be very fast if directly pedaled. Adding a good transmission would conceptually help, except that the unicycle by its very design will not admit of one. Or will it?

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: 14/11/2007 13:23:01 »
I have seen people commuting in cambridge on unicylcles.

I don't know if anyone has done it but there would be no fundamental reason that you couldn't add a hub gear to the unicycle - a bit like a stermey archer one on old british bikes, although you would have to alter the design somewhat to make it work. fundamentally it would involve having the wheel running on a central crank that is turned by the pedals you would then have to have the wheel running on bearings around the crank and an idler pair of cogs attached to the frame between them. I am not at all sure that you could do it with a stermey archer hub as I have a horrible feeling the wheel would either gear the wrong way or end up turning the wrong way, as you would be turning the axle and holding the gear cassette still.

Even if this worked, I expect changing gear would take a lot of getting used to!!
« Last Edit: 14/11/2007 13:24:46 by daveshorts »

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2007 23:18:27 »
They do make motorised unicycles. Seen em on U tube.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2007 23:18:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums