The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Infrared to watts?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline seanw17

• First timers
    • View Profile
Infrared to watts?
« on: 14/11/2007 17:43:15 »
Is it possible to calculate the watts in a unit of infrared radation?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Infrared to watts?
« Reply #1 on: 14/11/2007 18:22:59 »
What do you know and what do you want to know?

Offline seanw17

• First timers
    • View Profile
Infrared to watts?
« Reply #2 on: 14/11/2007 18:28:35 »
I know that infared is a range of frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum with units of Hertz or Hz where 1Hz=1 oscillation/sec. the standard unit is also Hertz. A watt is a unit of power or rate of energy delivered. 1W=1kgm/s. the unit in standard is a footpound/s or horsepower. But i want to express this into an equation for infrared/watts over a period of time

lyner

Infrared to watts?
« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2007 23:10:34 »
A watt is one Joule per second - kilogrammes don't really come into it - except when you are lifting them.
I can't understand what you are asking - you seem to mixing your concepts.
The only real relationship between  wavelength and power would be to know the energy in a photon - E = hf and then ask what would be the power if, say, a million photons arrived per second.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Infrared to watts?
« Reply #4 on: 15/11/2007 21:41:26 »
You are in error stating that 1 Watt = 1 meter * 1 Kg per second it is in fact 1 meter * 1 Newton per second

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Infrared to watts?
« Reply #5 on: 15/11/2007 22:51:11 »
I know that infared is a range of frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum with units of Hertz or Hz where 1Hz=1 oscillation/sec. the standard unit is also Hertz. A watt is a unit of power or rate of energy delivered. 1W=1kgm/s. the unit in standard is a footpound/s or horsepower. But i want to express this into an equation for infrared/watts over a period of time

Could we have a little more context? As this does not quiite make sense to me. Probably the most common measure of incident infrared would be as watts per square metre. Where is your infrared coming from and what do you know about it already?

The Naked Scientists Forum

Infrared to watts?
« Reply #5 on: 15/11/2007 22:51:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums