The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do Gas Planets Have Magnetic Poles ?  (Read 4206 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Do Gas Planets Have Magnetic Poles ?
« on: 14/11/2007 22:48:45 »
Dear Planet Experts and Eaters of Beans !

Gas Giants !!...ewe gotta luff em eh ?

Here they all are...sitting in a row !!

Notice how gassy and non rock-like they are ?

But...do they have Magnetosphere's too ?..If so...does this then mean that they have a rocky Iron  core ?...How big would this rocky core be ?...as big as the Earth ?...our Moon !!?...
.I'm not fussy...your best guestimates will satiate my curiosity !!

Hugs et les shmishes !!

Neil
xxxxxx

« Last Edit: 14/11/2007 22:54:31 by neilep »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/11/2007 23:49:22 »
Yes, I looked it up and was right - Galeleo's magnetometer did detect a magnetic field.

"Jupiter has a huge magnetic field, much stronger than Earth's. Its magnetosphere extends more than 650 million km (past the orbit of Saturn!). (Note that Jupiter's magnetosphere is far from spherical -- it extends "only" a few million kilometers in the direction toward the Sun.) Jupiter's moons therefore lie within its magnetosphere, a fact which may partially explain some of the activity on Io. Unfortunately for future space travelers and of real concern to the designers of the Voyager and Galileo spacecraft, the environment near Jupiter contains high levels of energetic particles trapped by Jupiter's magnetic field. This "radiation" is similar to, but much more intense than, that found within Earth's Van Allen belts. It would be immediately fatal to an unprotected human being.
    The Galileo atmospheric probe discovered a new intense radiation belt between Jupiter's ring and the uppermost atmospheric layers. This new belt is approximately 10 times as strong as Earth's Van Allen radiation belts. Surprisingly, this new belt was also found to contain high energy helium ions of unknown origin."  ---  http://www.nineplanets.org/jupiter.html

Jupiter has a core of liquid metallic hydrogen! It is only at the millions of pound of pressure that hydrogen is metallic.

One new tidbit I learned is that very little of Jupiter - if any - is gas. the gravitational force is so strong that the gas is in a solid ice form.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/11/2007 07:31:07 »
So it is a bit of a misnomer to say that Jupiter has no solid surface, as we sink thru the atmosphere we eventually meet a solid surface of ice.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/11/2007 08:27:05 »
From what I was reading the gas planets have huge magnetic fields which can all be effected by the electron flow I think from the sun.. this and also the season of the planets.. but I don't understand it all yet..Which brings me to a new question.... Excuse me! New thread! LOL

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/11/2007 22:00:37 »
THANK YOU ALL (esp Jimbob) for the wonderful answers......

...any news on the other gas giants ? (or does your reference to "the gas giants" Karen mean Uranus, Neptune and Saturn too ?)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 17/11/2007 22:00:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums