The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Volatiles and drug smuggling  (Read 3535 times)

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
Volatiles and drug smuggling
« on: 16/11/2007 01:25:02 »
(Got your attention!)

While I was at a police dog training facility, I was told that while many people attempting to sneak drugs past airport customs sniffer dogs try to 'conceal' the smell of the drugs using strong perfumes/fragrances, the volatile compounds in the perfumes (reponsible for making the perfume itself aromatic) actually help "carry" some of the drug compounds in the air...facilitating their detection by the remarkable canine nose.

Can anyone explain to me how the volatiles in the perfume might be able to "carry" other compounds?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18/11/2007 15:28:58 »
The solvent used to make perfume is ethyl alcohol. This is the "carrier substance." Formulas are secret but I would assume that there is an excess to spread the scents contained in the perfume. Although its boiling point is 78 C, vapors are given off at room temperature. These vapors (molecules) especially those not bound to any fragrance, would be ideal for picking up other molecules that produce a odor, such as those given off by an illicit drug.

Looks as if you will need to find another way to mask the stuff your smuggling!   ;D

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 18/11/2007 15:47:32 »
so what was it about coffee that used to hide the smell of drugs? and why does it not now, is it just because the dogs are better trained?

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/11/2007 12:42:44 »
Looks as if you will need to find another way to mask the stuff your smuggling!   ;D

Who told you? :P

Would that mean that someone trying to conseal their own unpleasant smells with perfume might have the same effect?

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #4 on: 26/11/2007 20:34:44 »
Brings to mind a piece of history.
Louis XV (and I'm sure he was not the only one) was particularly well known (amongst other things) for his (and his court's) extravagant use of perfume. I believe he almost held the monopoly of import on certain fragrant components.
One has to remember that taking a bath or shower in those times was considered terribly dangerous.
I wonder how the dogs at his court survived?
 ;D

If you're into volatiles, have a read

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/11/2007 19:09:30 »
And, we must also remember that when Versailles was built there were no bathrooms - the stairwells were the most "convenient" convenience. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 27/11/2007 19:09:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums