The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Two Rainbows....but the second one's colours are reversed....why ?  (Read 5914 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
I was looking at some piccys of rainbows (cos I luff them )...and then this one stood out !!

Why is the second rainbow reversed in the order of it's colours ?

look...here's another !!

Why's that then ?

« Last Edit: 21/11/2007 16:58:27 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Come on !!....I know things are slow around here but doesn't anybody else at least wonder why ?

« Last Edit: 21/11/2007 22:36:31 by neilep »

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the reply I offered eleven days ago concerning rainbow-like phenomena.

Here it is:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=11300.msg138302#msg138302

Trot along to http://www.atoptics.co.uk/ which has loads of nice pictures and really good explantions of all-things atmospheric-optics.

Random bonus fact: the light in rainbows is polarized; you can increase the colour-saturation (or make it disappear completely) by looking through a polarizing filter... but the angle changes with the arc of the rainbow.
« Last Edit: 22/11/2007 16:39:12 by techmind »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I did... Those are beautiful Heres one for your collection! Seems it is the same!

paul.fr

I think i saw a nice drawing and explanation by Dave somewhere...can't seem to find it though.
The Simple answer is that the standard rainbow we all see is the primary rainbow and is produced by one internal reflection, we see the secondary (double) rainbow  because there are two internal reflections.

Andrews (techmind) link is quite good, if only it worked! anyway, here is a better explanation from the site Andrew mentioned.

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/rainbows/ord2form.htm

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
It sounds like it acts like a mirror reversing its reflection in the secondary bow.So is that what the two drops of rain do is act like a mirror reflecting back the image in reverse?
« Last Edit: 22/11/2007 16:58:27 by Karen W. »

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
Andrews (techmind) link is quite good, if only it worked!
Grrrrr... stupid forum (or cut'n'paste) gremlins. There was an invisible control-character at the end of the URL. The link should be fixed now.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums