The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the pads on a cat, dog, or other pad wearing critters paws for ?  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Cats dogs and other critters ie bears etc.. have a padded paw area. Besides cushioning and protection what else does the pad do for the animals??? Are there a lot of nerve endings there? If so perhaps they feel with them like we do our hands? Are certain areas more sensitive or not sensitive at all?

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
Besides cushioning and protection what else does the pad do for the animals???

They predominantly do just that. They can also contain sweat glands (eg. in the dog) that have ducts opening out onto the surface and function for territorial and trail marking.

Since the epidermis is modified to be highly thickened and cornified (composed of many dead layers of cells), it probably wouldn't particularly sensitive.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
The sensitive part of my question was mentioned because I noticed if my dog or cat got a little tiny sticker in their paw they would hobble in as if they were crippled and favoring or not using the paw and I would have to get a magnifying glass out just to see if it was a sticker... 8 times out of ten it was a tiny sticker from this funky weedy thing that grows wild in me grass! It has teeny tiny yellow round bud flower thingy's LOL and has stickers on it!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
They are made by Dr. Scholls (an old American podiatrist who makes very cheap - in both senses of the word - orthotics) and are for comfort and protection of the foot.

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
This weed thing grows stickers??! I don't understand!!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
i don't think she meant colorful stickers like the kind you get on your school papers when you get a good grade, although that's what i thought at first too. i think she means the sharp things on bushes that get stuck to your pants when you brush by

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
tes it is a green weed, low growing that produces a yellowish looking round ball like
bu or berry. It only gets thorns in the summer when it is hot and things are drying out!if you step on it it gets thes very tiny needle like thorns very thin, when you step on them they hurt and are hard to see very hair like hard to see tiny like some cactus stickers! LOL!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums