The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How much water does your average brown bear drink per day? A GOAT?  (Read 6923 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
 Now the reason I ask is surely a big burly bear must drink a lot!

Which set my head going about why our Goats rarely drank water.

They would dump the bucket play with it but you could rarely get them

to drink it! We had to resort to sinking them into the ground. :o

( The water buckets not the goats) ;) well....... eventually the

goats, but that was well much later down the line! LOL... Anyway a

nice explanation to help me figure out why me goat drank

so little and surely a bear drinks tons more, but why?

I assumed that they recieved a lot of water from plants also, but

I still wonder how and why!
« Last Edit: 22/11/2007 21:56:52 by Karen W. »

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
Goats are one of the more hardy domestic species and are pretty efficient when it comes to conserving water since they’re adapted to a harsh, arid environment. The turnover rate of water in their bodies is low and like camels, they can drink a large amount of water in one go (apparently the Black Bedouin desert breed can drink as much as 45% of their own body weight in water without harming their red blood cells). They lose relatively little water through evaporation, and produce relatively concentrated urine and dry faeces. Their rumen can also serve as a ‘reserve’ of water if required.

The amount of water an animal needs to drink depends on a number of factors, including the ambient temperature, level of exercise, body weight, water content in food, lactation status and salt/mineral content in the diet. The average dairy goat drinks about 3-5 times a day and the total amount consumed may range from 2.3 litres at 0oC (32oF) up to 4.0 litres at 40oC (104oF). Increased exercise and salt content in the food will also increase water consumption.

Goats may go up to 3-4 days without drinking water (due to the large volume of water in the rumen, and the low rate of water loss from the body), but they should always be provided with fresh, clean water in excess (if not unlimited).

Good idea to sink the buckets into the ground. Alternatively, you could go for a heavier tub or trough to stop them tipping it over. The same thing happens with dogs and plastic water bowls, no?...and then they end up with no drinking water for the whole day while the owners are out. Grrr.

Haven’t got any specific information for bear nutrition yet. But for most adult mammals, the daily fluid requirement for maintenance (presumably including water in food and metabolic water) is about 35-40 mL/kg (16-18 mL/lb)…so approximately 25-28 L for a 700 kg brown bear, and 11-12 L for a 300kg black bear.
« Last Edit: 23/11/2007 13:03:22 by SquarishTriangle »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Mostly our goat roamed free and always had access to water but when we did tether him for briar control, we found we had to strategically bury several tubs of water to the rim all along the tether line which covered a 200 ft run down the side of the property and each place the tether was anchored we would sink a ne tub midway between tether points because tether points would block the sliding of his link and confine him to the one section until we moved him down to the next section! LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thank you for your terrific answers! That helps me.. I always was worring because they would rarely drink and when they did  it seemed very little!

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
Haha...gotta love goats...especially the male ones! Curiously, did you sink the buckets right into the ground?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yes, up to about 4 inches from top of buckets! Enough that when it rained the dirt would not float in. They were pretty big wash tub size buckets. I put them in a plastic garbage bags that I then duct tapped around the rim to help prevent the buckets deteriorating so quickly! They were the big aluminum tubs you get from feed stores for livestock feeders. Goats were great except when they were eating my roses petunias and all my other flowers and herbs! LOL.. Then I was a mad mama! They thought they owned the place and thought they should come inside and live...LOL  They have quite the personalities and actually make great pets. My daughters goat liked to go on her paper route every day. He sometimes helped her carry papers! he had his own pack bag she had hers, she road the horse and he followed no leads or ropes!  LOL he was a card! Very friendly and cute! He also loved jumping off the roof of the barn onto the trampoline where he jumped with the kids.. LOL when the stopped he would raise his front feet high and slam the matt until they were all bouncing again.. It was funny!

You know we never ever owned a female! We liked the males but only because thats what we bought!
« Last Edit: 24/11/2007 12:03:56 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums