The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is IQ? What does it mean?  (Read 39924 times)

another_someone

Re: What is IQ? What does it mean?
« Reply #50 on: 26/11/2007 21:16:24 »
Secondly they found that, unless something really odd happened in a child's schooling, they tended to maintain the same IQ throughout school.

The idea of helping those schoolchildren who are falling behind makes sense (though I don't know how well it worked); the use of IQ in adults is strange.

If the number remains constant throughout the school years, it would imply whatever you do, the children are not going to catch up (at least, not in academic terms - so maybe a different emphasis should be put on those children).

What is now sometimes being done is to use IQ to measure children who are not being stretched to their limit, and may be falling behind simply because they are getting bored.

If you rely on that staying the same through into adulthood (which is a dodgy assumption) then you can "measure" the IQ of adults by asking lots of people lots os questions, calling anyone who gets the average number right an IQ of 100 and sorting the rest of the population by how far above or below the average number of right answers they got, compared to the population as a whole.
As far as I can tell this is pointless.

Clearly, the test results will vary, even from day to day, let alone from year to year within one's life.  As Rosy pointed out, one has to allow fairly wide error margins; but that is not to say that it is unreasonable to assume that people in one sector of the spectrum will generally stay within that sector (all the evidence supports that - not least the correlation between identical twins, which would not be there if there was no underlying biological constancy in the results).

What meaning it has in everyday life is another matter.  Since, as I mentioned, there are Mensans in all walks of life, it certainly shows that being a Mensan does not itself indicate you are destined for greatness.  On the other hand, Mensans (in the UK) only represent about 5% of those eligible by IQ, so one might speculate that those who join Mensa are those who have underachieved according to their potential (maybe in that respect Steven Hawking was right - who knows).

At the other end of the spectrum, very low IQ is sometimes used as a mitigating factor for criminal defence.  You can argue whether you think this is pertinent or not, but it certainly does seem to happen (this is not to say that only people with low IQ commit crimes, only that very low IQ is sometimes taken as a mitigating factor in the psychiatric reports submitted after a conviction).

paul.fr

« Reply #51 on: 27/11/2007 14:08:18 »
paul, why the apostrophe? Nothing's been missed out and it's nothing's possessive.

a simple clue to which apostrophe would be helpful.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27/11/2007 20:53:28 »

"Secondly they found that, unless something really odd happened in a child's schooling, they tended to maintain the same IQ throughout school.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idea of helping those schoolchildren who are falling behind makes sense (though I don't know how well it worked); the use of IQ in adults is strange.

If the number remains constant throughout the school years, it would imply whatever you do, the children are not going to catch up (at least, not in academic terms - so maybe a different emphasis should be put on those children).
"

"a simple clue to which apostrophe would be helpful. "
The one just before the s here
"it's easy, there are no "'s in IQ"

paul.fr

« Reply #53 on: 28/11/2007 14:56:36 »
"a simple clue to which apostrophe would be helpful. "
The one just before the s here
"it's easy, there are no "'s in IQ"

Why thank you, BC.
I am always happy to be corrected, how else are we to learn? I am so overjoyed that i have learend something new today.
« Last Edit: 28/11/2007 18:37:39 by paul.fr »

Offline hilao

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 15/06/2011 00:33:00 »
Just want to discover a very accurate intelligence test ? Click here:

spam deleted

A score you receive when using an IQ test is worthless if this result is not compared with people your actual age. According to recent tests taken by individuals your actual age, our company quantifies instantly all IQ scores to make the evaluation of your own IQ very reliable. On top of that, we determine a score using the clinically honored Wechsler Scale in which one hundred is definitely the normal IQ.

:) :) :)
« Last Edit: 15/06/2011 09:52:45 by imatfaal »

Offline Johnny78901

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24/06/2011 12:39:42 »
I did a free IQ test at <spammers_are_idiots_dot_com> I took that one out of many online IQ tests. I got 12.4 points in that test, so the result was similar to the one I got some time ago when I was checked by professionals from MENSA (then I had 12.5 points). <and now I'm bann-ed!>
« Last Edit: 24/06/2011 14:28:45 by peppercorn »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #55 on: 24/06/2011 12:39:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums