The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dizziness  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Son of Jupiter

• View Profile
Dizziness
« on: 26/11/2007 14:48:24 »
Hello scientists,
My question pertains to instantaneous  dizziness, if that makes any sense at all. While I was driving to work, as I do every day no change in the routine, all of a sudden I felt as if I just walked off a spinning amusement park ride. It was a residual spinning, starting off strong then tapering off. I was seated in a proper driving position (not slouching or sitting in a way that might restrict blood flow that I know of)  The spinning lasted for aprox. 20-30 seconds, luckily I was stopped at a red light for most of the event. This is the first time this has happened, that I can recall.

Bradley
New Jersey - U.S.

P.S. I do realize I should be asking my G.P. about this but, I trust your opinion and the answer comes a lot cheaper, faster too.

paul.fr

Dizziness
« Reply #1 on: 26/11/2007 14:56:55 »
My first consulation (guess) is free.
Do you have inner ear problems?

Offline Son of Jupiter

• View Profile
Dizziness
« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2007 15:21:50 »
Not that I am aware of...

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Dizziness
« Reply #3 on: 26/11/2007 17:56:59 »
If there is no ringing (tinnitus) or deafness then consider BPPV: Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo

(Turning your head to look for traffic may have dislodged the otolith).
« Last Edit: 26/11/2007 18:20:48 by RD »

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Dizziness
« Reply #4 on: 26/11/2007 21:13:54 »
If there is no ringing (tinnitus) or deafness then consider BPPV: Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo

(Turning your head to look for traffic may have dislodged the otolith).

Son of Jupiter - you should go to the doctor for a diagnosis, but as RD said it does sound  like you may have BPPV.  I have it also.  I have regular treatments (4 - 6 weeks) with the chiropractor and it keeps it in check for the most part.  If this is what you have, you may not need treatment that often.  It'll take a little time to determine the best treatment for you.  The GP may also prescribe medications for you, but they didn't work for me.  The chiropractor has been the best treatment for me.  Good luck.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Dizziness
« Reply #4 on: 26/11/2007 21:13:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums