The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: LIME CASEIN PAINT  (Read 5699 times)

Offline PAUL 'Ca (OH) 2' REED

• First timers
  • LIME LIME LIME
    • View Profile
LIME CASEIN PAINT
« on: 26/11/2007 15:15:36 »
Greetings,

We are a manufacturer of lime based building materials based in the South East of England. We are developing our own Traditioanal Lime Paint with a casein binder.  We are an ecological minded manufacturer and looking to an alternative recipe to exclude Trisodium Phosphate and Formalin which form part of the traditional ingredients of the Lime Casein paint and that have environmental hazards as well as increasing stringent restrictions on purchasing such chemicals. 

Traditionally the Ingredients to make up a gauge of Lime Casein Paint are as Follow:

Non Hydraulic Quick Lime          5 kg slaked in 5 litres of water
Casein                              0.9 kg
Trisodium phosphate            0.57 kg   
Formalin                  0.5 litres   

We have been informed that Benzalkonium Chloride (BC50) is an increasingly used alternative to Formaldehyde based chemicals as the anti bacterial and fungicidal preservative element which is need for the paint.  Is there also an alternative to Trisodium Phosphate? or If not will it be compatible to Benzalkonium Chloride?  If there is an alterantive to Trisodium Phosphate would that alternative be compatable with the new chemical and fit in with the rest of the ingredients?

If this is an area that anyone can help us with please get in touch or pass on our details to someone who could.  We have also found a couple of suppliers for the casein powder and the Benzalkonium Chloride however we are open to any supplier for any of the ingredients.

Thank you for your time and hopefully hear back from someone soon.

Regards,

Declan Reed

(company name and contacts deleted by moderators decision)
« Last Edit: 26/11/2007 16:03:37 by JimBob »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
LIME CASEIN PAINT
« Reply #1 on: 26/11/2007 21:08:47 »
I think the formalin is there to harden the casein- this is a specific reaction and I doubt it can be substituted easily. Benzalkonium compounds are often used as biocides and, as such, will replace formalin in many cases. Unfortunately, I don't think this is one of them.
There are other protein cross-linkers but, as you might expect given the importance of proteins in biology, they are all rather toxic. The borates are fairly toxic, but they are traditional. I know they can form cross links with some polymers. I don't know about casein but, if you know a tame chemist they might be able to find out for you (I don't have access to a decent library)
Sorry I can't be more helpful and I wish you the best.
You might want to try the benzalkonium compounds anyway, they should be compatible with the phosphate etc. They are the active ingredient in some commercial fungicides and that is probably the easiest way to get small quantities (a kilo or so)for a lab scale test. I won't give the Builders merchant's name but one of the big DIY /builders supplies chains here in the UK certainly used to make a benzalkonium based fungicide for rotproofing roof timbers etc. The nice thing about these compounds is they can be used as water solutions so that gets round the problems of organic solvents.
« Last Edit: 26/11/2007 21:10:41 by Bored chemist »

Offline PAUL 'Ca (OH) 2' REED

• First timers
  • LIME LIME LIME
    • View Profile
LIME CASEIN PAINT
« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2007 10:36:27 »
Hi Thanks for getting back to us the information is very helpful.  I think we will try using the Benzalkonium in some small studies to see how it works out as we have a supply of that already. However we can not seem to find the Trisodium Phosphate!? Is it ever called something else at all?

Ideally we would prefer not to use formalin or anything too 'toxic' however as you say we may have to.  The casein will grow mould if it doesn't have an preventative additive so i think the best way is just to give it a go with the Benzalkonium and the formalin to compare.

once again thank you for your incitful comments it has been a great help.

watch this space

Declan Reed 

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
LIME CASEIN PAINT
« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2007 12:53:30 »
Sometimes it is sold as just simply "TSP." You can find it in most pain sections of stores it is often used for washing walls!

The Naked Scientists Forum

LIME CASEIN PAINT
« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2007 12:53:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums