The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: are some people more prone to get the flu or a cold?  (Read 7689 times)

paul.fr

I know the elderly and people on some medical treatments are, but i am neither of them. Yet, i only have to look at someone with a cold or the flu and hay presto, i have it too.
Why would that be?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
are some people more prone to get the flu or a cold?
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2007 15:02:15 »
Probably from the fact that those germs can be coughed at you from quite long distances and germs are spread so easily. hand to hand Phones are the worst.. sinks etc you know the routine.. alot of people forget bout phones radio dials keyboards etc.. all things people handle money awful stuff for spreading germs.. I wonder about a germs ability to remain in the air.. Can the density of the fog hold someones cough germs suspended in the air longer then a normal sunny day? I wonder?It sounds like a silly thing to think but I have wondered what could actually be hanging around in the air at given times.

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2007 16:17:39 »
It all really boils down on how well your immune system is able to fend off invaders.
Elderly people's bodies are often quite weak, so are people that are already taking (certain types) of medication.

If your immune system is up to specs it can deal with pretty much anything (including the plague).

Good diet, enough sleep and rest, excercise - that sort of thing; all your life....
But then I'm sure you know  ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2007 21:56:23 »
I was at the doctors last week and I think Alandriel is correct. My Doctor tells me I have some sort of Autoimmune disease and she insisted on my having a flue shot this year. She said I have to take one every year from now on.. She said when your immune system is not working right, that you are more susceptible to things like the flue and such and she said the flue would kick my bottom, so basically I had to offer up my arm as I don't want to get a butt kicking! LOL
So I would say yes people who are older have immune deficiency problems frail very young.. but the flue was all she was worried about so I think perhaps the flue, because it can be a butt kicker!

Offline adwkiwi

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/12/2007 22:02:56 »
It all really boils down on how well your immune system is able to fend off invaders.
Elderly people's bodies are often quite weak, so are people that are already taking (certain types) of medication.

If your immune system is up to specs it can deal with pretty much anything (including the plague).

Good diet, enough sleep and rest, excercise - that sort of thing; all your life....
But then I'm sure you know  ;D
This isn't entirely true. You can be fit and healthy and still get nailed by the flu. It's a virus, and if you've never come across that strain before you effectively have no defence. Fitness etc help you in the fight, but you still have to go through the process of fighting it off. So fitness per se will not help you avoid the flu, only affect how hard you are hit.

So while it is a function of the state of the immune system, the important thing is whether your body has antibodies for that version or not, rather than overall fitness. Protein is a handy thing to keep stocked up on when ill with a virus, as your immune response is primarily (biochemically) in the form of proteins.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/12/2007 02:32:06 »
Thats good information to know.. I have not had the flue yet but the last few days I have picked up someones bug and weather its a cold or not... its a butt kicker! I feel like crude!!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/12/2007 02:49:58 »
I know the elderly and people on some medical treatments are, but i am neither of them. Yet, i only have to look at someone with a cold or the flu and hay presto, i have it too.
Why would that be?

You're a smoker aren't you? 

Don't know if that's the reason or not, but when I smoked I was always catching colds or the flu and they always were severe and lasted a long time.  Since quitting (3 years now....YAYYYY) I hardly ever catch a cold and when I do, it's usually minor and only lasts a day or so.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/12/2007 23:39:40 »
BEfore I had my first ever flu jab I used Vitamin C as a barrier for colds. The jaba has made
flu and colds worse rather easier for me to get rid of. Odd since it's meant to help

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #8 on: 11/12/2007 23:55:36 »
I know it is probably luck of the draw but I have never recieved a flu shot and haven't had the flu in about 6 years. I do get colds three or four times a year though, and they are pretty massive.

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12/12/2007 06:23:26 »
meg... you better take that back. lol. if your luck is anything like mine you'll wake up with the flu tomorrow!

Offline Carol-A

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12/12/2007 10:03:05 »
The flu jab will only protect you against the actual strain of flu it is made for. It won't protect against anything else, not even other strains of flu.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 12/12/2007 10:03:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums