The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Is Jupiters Magnetosphere so HUGE ?  (Read 3304 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Is Jupiters Magnetosphere so HUGE ?
« on: 27/11/2007 16:44:08 »
Dear Jovian Pole Dancers,

One might think the Sun is the biggest thing in our Solar System !!..na na !!*sheepy shakes head*....Oh no !!

Jupiter's Magnetosphere is......it's so big that the Sun could easily fit inside it !

Jupiter is awesome and I am particularly excited about it's moon Europa ! (Quick Quiz:who can tell me why ?)

...anyway...setting that aside.....why is Jupiter's Magnetosphere such a behemoth ?

« Last Edit: 27/11/2007 20:15:02 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2007 18:47:19 »
I think I heard that because it is about the distance of our sun to
earth,or close to it, so that it should be able to provide a significant amount of gravity upon Jupiter where in they feel it may possibly be able to sustain life.. is that right.. Am I remembering right or something close to it? Or may have or produce water..??? Something like that!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2007 19:18:16 »
There is one rather "not to far fetched" theory that Jupiter (along with a now separate Saturn) is a failed star. That this solar system was trying to form a dual star system and the failure of nuclear reactions starting in the Jupiter-Saturn primordial universe.

"... and I am particularly excited about it's moon Europa ! (Quick Quiz:who can tell me why ?)"

It is soon to join the EU and convert to the Euro? Or is it the ice-covered oceans that may contain life?

Hard to tell what blows a sheep's skirt up.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2007 21:54:20 »
We still have the good old English Pound here in the UK....YAYYYYYYYYY !!

Karen....you kinda hit the nail just in your last sentence...and JimBob as much as I luff my european bros & sis ..you are indeed right...Europa is to adopt the Euro in the New Year and this doth excite me so.....you too of course also got it even more right (and YOU know it!).......with regards to there being possible life in the watery oceans of Europa...It's a strong candidate !!

I think there is a planned mission that will hopefully within twenty years or so reveal all....Oh My gawwwwwwwwd !!.....Imagine that !!..oh my !!!...even if it's the most basic of life (another sheepy perhaps ?)....what will the reaction be the world over I wonder ?

Anyway.......all that was supposed to be the side dish of the main entree that is Jupiters Magnetosphere !!....I still want to know why it's so rather on the largish scale ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/11/2007 22:01:06 »
It is because of how close it is to its sun I believe.. I remember I think it said it was so strong because of where it sits in proximity to its sun as I recall!  The closer to its sun, the stronger the magnetosphere. I could be wrong but if I am not I may faint dead away!

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #5 on: 28/11/2007 00:11:04 »
The size and intensity of the magnetosphere was one of the many unexpected discoveries made by the first space missions there.  As to why, firstly Jupiter is big so there's a lot of it, Jupiter has lots of (probably superconducting) metallic hydrogen in its shell structure as well as a metallic inner core so thres a good large conducting structure to form a dynamo, next Jupiter is a fair distance from the sun and so has more room to develop a sizeable magnetosphere.  finally jupiter is rotating pretty fast like it goes round in less than ten hours so theres loads of energy cranking the dynamo.  so the whole thing only need a bit od a magnetic field to start it an away it goes.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 28/11/2007 00:11:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums