The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does an electric guitar work?  (Read 8155 times)

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
How does an electric guitar work?
« on: 30/11/2007 02:20:27 »
Every person just plays the electric guitar. Do they ever think how the sound is transfered from vibrations to elelctrical currents and out the amp as vibrations again? I was wondering how myself while having my guitar lesson today, so ya, i was wondering if you guys could help me on this one.
« Last Edit: 12/07/2008 11:58:43 by chris »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Re: How does an electric guitar work?
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2008 00:17:53 »
A typical electric guitar pickup contains one or more permanent magnets and one or more coils of wire.  The magnets create a magnetic field and the guitar strings run through this field.  When the guitar strings vibrate they change the shape of the magnetic field and this in turn generates an electric currant in the coils of wire in the pickup.  The current from the pickup is fed into an amplifier where it modulates the power that is drawn from the mains socket and finally, this modulated power is then sent to another coil in a magnetic field, but this time in the loudspeaker, where there is another magnet.  The loudspeaker works like the guitar string in reverse - instead of you moving the guitar string in the magnetic field to generate a current in the coil, you use the current to move the coil in the magnetic field.  The loudspeaker coil is attached to the speaker cone and when the cone moves it generates soundwaves.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2008 13:19:07 »
What Lee has said is right for an "electric guitar". Just to expand, if you are a classical guitarist and have nylon, or authentic gut, strings the pickup system doesn't work. You then have to have a conventional microphone on the body of the (acoustic) guitar.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2008 15:58:40 »
Special "pickups" are available for acoustic guitars and instruments such as violins. As Graham said, standard magnetic coil pickups don't work on guitars with nylon or gut strings.

Look here for examples of inducer pickups.
« Last Edit: 09/07/2008 16:00:13 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2008 18:06:05 »
An low-cost contact microphone for an acoustic guitar can be created using the piezoelectric transducers used in wristwatches to make the bleep sounds...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_microphone

Soldering wires onto these transducers is tricky; the piezo coating comes off if you're not quick. Pre-wired versions are available...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3202&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=piezo&doy=9m7
(You'll need a pre-amp).
« Last Edit: 09/07/2008 18:26:24 by RD »

Offline guitarlover

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2010 08:58:29 »
When i become an expert in playing electronic guitar i realized it is better than original one specially the sound comes out of it.

Mod edit - spam removed
« Last Edit: 26/03/2010 10:49:02 by BenV »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2010 08:58:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums