The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How many Gigs is a movie?  (Read 28079 times)

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
How many Gigs is a movie?
« on: 02/12/2007 20:17:17 »
Eh a two hour movie no subtitles no nothing special just the moive?

Thank ya.

Offline Quantum_Vaccuum

• The Base Of Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02/12/2007 20:59:19 »
can be up to 15 for like LOTR but normal movies are about 7 i suppose, if i recall correctly

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 02/12/2007 21:11:37 »
Expand your question, to what format or whatever you want an answer to. I have movies that i have converted to div x and they are all 0.7gig and others converted to rm that are only 0.2gig.

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: 02/12/2007 21:49:28 »
um there is different formats? haha only .7 gigs? normally? wow

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #4 on: 03/12/2007 00:02:19 »
How many gigs is a movie?

Eh a two hour movie no subtitles no nothing special just the moive?

Well, most DVDs are about 8.5GB - any subtitles are a negligible fraction of that. The movie is coded at 720x576 pixels, but anamorphic (pixels are not square, that format is intended to be displayed in a 16:9 aspect ratio).

Sure you can crush it down to a one- or two CD (1x/2x 700MB CD) DivX, but to do that you probably recode to a slightly lower resolution (eg 704x304 back to square pixels), use a more efficient coding, but also loose a lot of picture detail - it'll look markedly sub-VHS quality.

Now if you were talking about digital cinema coded at "2k" (thats 2k pix horizontally, essentially "full HD" resolution 1920x1080) then we're talking 25-100 gigabytes - but it all depends on the amount of compression used.
Uncompressed it'd be around 1800GB, or multiply by another 4 for really serious "4k" resolution.

The vast majority of British cinema still show movies from film, at 24 frames per second, and 16 frames per foot of 35mm film. This is pretty much ONE MILE of film per hour. A decent quality film print contains a huge amount of (uncompressed) information!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35_mm_film
(yep, I've done cinema projection!)
« Last Edit: 03/12/2007 00:08:54 by techmind »

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: 03/12/2007 00:06:37 »
The blank dvd's I have are 4.5 gigs. So If I ripped a dvd moive and tryed to put it on a blank 16x dvd it'd need two of them?

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #6 on: 03/12/2007 00:10:12 »
The blank dvd's I have are 4.5 gigs. So If I ripped a dvd moive and tryed to put it on a blank 16x dvd it'd need two of them?
Yes - pre-recorded DVDs are mostly "dual layer", whereas the recordable ones you buy are only single-layer (4.7GB). My newish DVD burner claims to be able to write dual-layer DVD-Rs, but I've never seen the recordable media in the shops.

paul.fr

« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2007 00:36:03 »
My newish DVD burner claims to be able to write dual-layer DVD-Rs, but I've never seen the recordable media in the shops.
The last time i looked, a few months ago, they were £5 a disc!

Andrew, i know this is your field, but movies converted to div x, look nothing like sub-quality vhs. To my eye therd is not too much difference, maybe you have a keener eye for the technical qualities of video than i do.

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2007 00:54:50 »
Yes - pre-recorded DVDs are mostly "dual layer", whereas the recordable ones you buy are only single-layer (4.7GB). My newish DVD burner claims to be able to write dual-layer DVD-Rs, but I've never seen the recordable media in the shops.

OH jezze that's useless then. haha.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #9 on: 03/12/2007 10:26:44 »
Andrew, i know this is your field, but movies converted to div x, look nothing like sub-quality vhs. To my eye therd is not too much difference, maybe you have a keener eye for the technical qualities of video than i do.

Well - I don't watch very many DivX copies of movies, and I don't deny that DivX is pretty good for the data rate. To start with, the quality differences will be much more apparent on an LCD screen than a CRT. On the examples I've seen, the main "saving" in data rate seems to come from blurring out most of the detail in much of the picture - but not the bits you're concentrating on - so while the "talking heads" may be reasonably detailed, the wallpaper, carpet, sofa in the background may be completely devoid of any texture. The detail also tends to disappear from clothes, particularly low-contrast detail/texture, and especially in dark fabrics (e.g. mens suits). Unfortunately these effects tend to happen to some extent in broadcast digital TV these days, so you may be becoming immune to noticing it! A good quality analog TV signal on a really good CRT TV looks fantastic!
The uncompressed (or minimally-compressed) digital original in the broadcast environment is even better.
« Last Edit: 03/12/2007 10:32:21 by techmind »

Offline Gabe2k2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/09/2008 23:10:18 »
I prefer Xvid for film compression which resembles divx infact there I believe there the same company

but as with audio there are 30 or more standered methods of movie compression some better than others !

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/09/2008 14:28:07 »
A lot.
Your welcome.

Offline nnmmk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15/09/2008 03:21:48 »
I am seeing the words torch and jet used with lighters that have that type of "jet" flame. But I see two differnt kinds of flames and both kinda look like jets but both are different. This website newbielink:http://www.lducompany.com [nonactive] has both kinds so I will use it to show you what I mean. Here is one type of flame newbielink:http://www.liangdianup.com/inventory/505008.htm [nonactive] and the other type of flame looks stronger and looks like this newbielink:http://www.liangdianup.com/inventory/509931.htm [nonactive] and then there is the type of lighter with a flame that I would call conventional that look like this newbielink:http://www.liangdianup.com/inventory/505012.htm [nonactive] I have search all over the internet but have not been able to get a clear answer on the names of these different flames. Help?HPCK19090

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15/09/2008 03:27:23 »
Is your post in the wrong thread???

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15/09/2008 12:15:18 »
Depends on the quality.  Star Wars has very few.   Adaptation of Dickens or Hardy will have loads.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 15/09/2008 12:15:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums