The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is monoammonium phosphate corrosive?  (Read 6513 times)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is monoammonium phosphate corrosive?
« on: 21/07/2004 19:47:26 »
I had a little tractor fire over the weekend and doused it with a dry chemical fire extinguisher.  Now that the fire is out, I'm wondering if the powder will eat the tractor, or if I can be lazy and just let it blow off naturally.

The tractor won't start, which is a common state for this 54 year old tractor.  I don't know if it's related to the fire, but I suspect not.  So, any tractor starting tips would also be helpful.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
Re: Is monoammonium phosphate corrosive?
« Reply #1 on: 23/07/2004 05:30:37 »
Yes, the chemicals in dry chemical fire extinguishers are corrosive. Remove it as well as you can. They are especially tough on eletrical systems, so the ignition will be weakened.

A hard-starting tractor frequently has pitted points. Check them, and file or replace. Re-set the dwell and timing.

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/07/2004 13:48:18 »
Cool, but tweener can i ask why an electrical engineer/software engineer owns a tractor in the first place? 8)

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe
« Last Edit: 23/07/2004 13:49:03 by qpan »

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/07/2004 04:50:19 »
The tractor came with the farm that I also own.  It is mainly used for trying (and usually failing) to control weeds and brush, and to till the garden, which is what I was brushogging when the fire got started.  The weeds are getting taller all the time.

The tractor is a 54 year old Farmall H that my granddad bought new in 1950.  It still runs great when it runs.  

Thanks gsmollin - I blew it off with compressed air as best as possible.  I'll try to get the power washer started and give it a going over.

----

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/07/2004 07:45:12 »
Cover the ignition when power washing! Clean the ignition by hand, using CRC ignition cleaner.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/07/2004 03:09:16 »
I will cover them.  The actual ignition parts are well sealed behind gaskets and lots of old grease.  In fact most of the metal parts are well sealed behind lots of old grease.  Not much paint though.  Sometime I'd like to repaint it, but don't have the money and time to mess with it.

----

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 18/09/2004 11:13:10 »
Is this a diesel tractor ? If so, the electrics are almost immaterial to the engine actually running !

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/09/2004 20:05:18 »
Hi Chris,
It's a gasoline powered tractor (4 cyl. 32 HP).  Here's a picture of a restored version (what I wish mine could look like):

I finally got it started.  I found that the last time the mechanic "tuned it" he really just tuned it and didn't replace any of the ignition parts.  So, now I need to replace those and it'll run well again.

----

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 21/09/2004 20:05:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums