The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does a hydrogen fuel cell-powered car work?  (Read 48199 times)

tech30528

How does a hydrogen fuel cell-powered car work?
« Reply #75 on: 26/08/2008 13:44:13 »
Just a quick update, I've been getting a lot of e-mails lately on winterizing cells (as a side note, how do I stop getting hundreds of e-mails from this site?)

We have come up with a solution for milder areas, I'm not sure how it would work for extreme climates without a separate battery to power it. But for areas that don't stay frozen all the time in winter (I'm in Georgia, it does freeze here, but doesn't get below 20F very often and not for very long). My test on distilled water with baking soda as an electrolyte shows that at freezing the soda separates from the water, and the water still freezes at 32F. Rather than adding something to the water to lower the freezing point and possibly affecting the electrolysis process, I suggest insulating the cell and adding a heater. I'm looking for the right coolant swith (one that will switch states at about 40F) that will work as a relay trigger for a small piece of floor heater. There is a product used in construction that is a rolled membrane that goes on the subfloor before the tile or carpet is put down. As luck would have it, it is a low voltage heater (12V dc)and is very efficient. Depending on the size of your cell, a couple of square inches should be sufficient without causing a large battery drain. The relay would be wired direct to the battery, the coolant switch on the cell is the trigger. When the water temp falls below 40F, the heater would turn on, over 40F would cut the power to the heater. The heating element is quite durable, you can even drive nails thru it without affecting operation. If there is concern about corrosion, shrink wrap the element. It will be in the bottom of the cell, so max temperature should be about 180F, which should no damage the shrink wrap.

The Naked Scientists Forum

How does a hydrogen fuel cell-powered car work?
« Reply #75 on: 26/08/2008 13:44:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length