The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: propane paintball gun, what are the chances of blowing up  (Read 9132 times)

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
Ive been wanting to get into paintball for a while now. some of my friends go on the weekends and i hear its loads of fun, so i started researching paintball guns and i found one which i like. the tippmann C-3 is the first paintball gun EVER to use propane as a power source, designed for players who live nowhere near a filling station (me) and it fires 50,000 shots with one 16.4 oz canister. but is it safe. propane is flamable but it is also used for household power, so what i want to know is before i put this on my Christmas list, what are the chances of this blowing me to the gates of hell.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
propane paintball gun, what are the chances of blowing up
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/2007 03:52:40 »
Hmmmm...

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 07/12/2007 04:14:59 »
I suspect few of us have any experience with paint balling, much less with propane powered paint ball guns.

Propane, while it is in the bottle, will not burn (since there is no air mixed with it).  It can, like any compressed gas, explode of heated, and if it is exploding then it could combust (because the propane has got out of the bottle).

The biggest risk I can see is if the gas starts leaking out, then mixing with the air.  Probably not a major problem while it is in the open air, in use; but put it in a drawer, where the gas becomes trapped inside the drawer with the air, then you have a recipe for trouble.  If everything works well, it should not be a problem; but in real life, things do go wrong.

Another concern I would have is that the company claims it is the first company to be producing this technology.  Any new technology has teething problems, and it is always better to buy the second or third generation of a new technology product than the first generation (do you really want to be a guinea pig?).

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2007 12:19:19 »
no, but its better thatn driving a hour just to fill up on Co2

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2007 12:36:21 »
no, but its better thatn driving a hour just to fill up on Co2

Not if it fails (worse still if it fails catastrophically).  If it works, then it is a better option, but no matter how bad the alternative is, if the alternative works and this does not work, then the alternative is still better.

I am not saying this will not work, or that it will fail, only that saying that being a guinea pig is better than the alternative is only true if being a guinea pig actually provides a working solution.  You are taking a gamble, and like any gamble, you could win or you could lose.  If you win, you are better off, and if you lose ...

Incidentally, cannot you fill up spare CO2 cylinders when you go to fill up, so reducing the number of journeys required (although it means you will need the spare cylinders around to fill up)?
« Last Edit: 07/12/2007 12:42:30 by another_someone »

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/12/2007 21:57:03 »
i could just get an A5 with a 20 oz and it has more options http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/parentcategory.asp?CAT=118210310    my personal favorites are the ambush sniper, the M249 saw, the MP5K, and the ultimate A5

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/12/2007 22:46:47 »
My advice is to not waste your time putting it on your Christmas list. :)

paul.fr

« Reply #7 on: 07/12/2007 22:50:40 »
I think there is more chance that you mum will "blow up" if you miss your target and ruin her washing or paintwork, than the gun.
remember, guns don't kill people...mothers do!

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/12/2007 22:56:50 »
lol im smart enough not to aim it at the house and i would just wear old clothes so i can rinse the paint off then wash it

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2007 22:59:06 »
I think there is more chance that you mum will "blow up" if you miss your target and ruin her washing or paintwork, than the gun.
remember, guns don't kill people...mothers do!

LOL...so true Paul.  We also come up with very creative ways to do so. ;D

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07/12/2007 23:05:09 »
lol im smart enough not to aim it at the house and i would just wear old clothes so i can rinse the paint off then wash it

Aiming at the house is not the only problem I have with it.  It's aiming it at people that upsets me.   If you can find a way to get into paintball without ever having to aim a gun at someone, or having one aimed at you them I'm all for it.....cheer up though...I still love ya more than the dog. ;D

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08/12/2007 04:00:06 »
im mature enough not to aim a real gun at somebody. its as violent as karate matter of fact karate is more violent than paintball because im already working with weapons and im getting into semi- knockout sparring, which is way more dangerous than paintball, and im getting into disarming knives, bats ect.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2007 04:09:19 by Nic_525 »

Offline i am bored

• View Profile

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 08/12/2007 04:00:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length