The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If........ what would you choose?  (Read 9086 times)

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
If........ what would you choose?
« on: 10/12/2007 14:14:12 »
Genie jumps out of the bottle (coffee cup, newspaper, your sock drawer...), takes all the gadgets away that you own (and I mean *everything* (from your iphone to your freezer).

He then sees your shocked and miserable face, takes pity and says:

ok - because it's almost christmas you can have ONE back

what would you choose and why?

« Last Edit: 10/12/2007 14:15:43 by Alandriel »

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 10/12/2007 14:41:11 »
No contest - the computer.

I have had a computer in the house for more years than I have had a TV in the house - although fewer years than I have had a telephone or radio; but then, these days, you can use the computer (with broadband connection) for phone and radio anyway.

Don't own an iPod, and the only MP3 player I have is the computer.

OTOH, if you are also talking about taking away the washing machine, cookers, microwave, fridge, motor car, etc. - in that case, I would have to think more carefully about my priorities.  Life could become a bit laborious, and food rather limited and boring.  I think I would need a large retinue of servants if I was denuded of all the robotic servants we take for granted today.

paul.fr

« Reply #2 on: 10/12/2007 16:47:28 »
Do you class a freezer as a gadget? seeing as mine is empty then i suppose i can live without that anyway. Mother hubbard came around, once, only once and then left as she had more than I did.

I would have to keep my phone, it has all the gadgets and the net...just wish i had some friends who i could ring...once in a while...

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2007 16:49:10 »

OTOH, if you are also talking about taking away the washing machine, cookers, microwave, fridge, motor car, etc. - in that case, I would have to think more carefully about my priorities.  Life could become a bit laborious, and food rather limited and boring.  I think I would need a large retinue of servants if I was denuded of all the robotic servants we take for granted today.

Didn't I say *E*V*E*R*Y*T*H*I*N*G* ??

Yep, mean EVERYTHING.

Anything that plugs in, runs on power of any kind (except manual power and no, don't tell me you've hooked up your blender to the bycicle!) and that includes even your solar powered hot water shower.

Mean genie !

;D

paul.fr

« Reply #4 on: 10/12/2007 16:54:22 »
so if i bought one of those wind up laptops (24 hours on a single hand charge) that would be exempt from the genies filthy mitts?

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 10/12/2007 17:38:47 »

Didn't I say *E*V*E*R*Y*T*H*I*N*G* ??

Yep, mean EVERYTHING.

Anything that plugs in, runs on power of any kind (except manual power and no, don't tell me you've hooked up your blender to the bycicle!) and that includes even your solar powered hot water shower.

Mean genie !

;D

As I said, OK if I have a large retinue of servants.

Actually, probably the things most people would miss most are electric lighting (especially in the short winter nights).  Heating would be a problem, so we all go back to huddling around the old open fire (welcome back the London smog).

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #6 on: 10/12/2007 17:45:28 »
so if i bought one of those wind up laptops (24 hours on a single hand charge) that would be exempt from the genies filthy mitts?

hmmmmmm....... not sure about this one. Gotta conferr with the genie
(windup laptops..... ARE YOU SURE ?!?!?!?)

Quote from: George

Nope! Sorry - no large retinue of servants. Not even ONE

(erm.... well, genie says ONE is ok. Lucky you. Genie must like you!)  ;D

Light : I would not mind going back to candles. Much more romantic anyways.

Heating, well yes, could be a bit of a problem.....OR London could finally ENFORCE better insulation and get rid of all those horribly drafty victorian windows. (I mean REALLY!! 21st century and all, and still LEADED drains!!) Then there are wolly jumpers and blankets and efficient fireplaces......

Besides I want to know what YOU can't live without, not most people ~ that's cheating

;D

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/12/2007 21:49:46 »
I can live without all of the appliances because I have a wood stove with cook top and a portable camp oven which sits atop the wood stove and can be set right on the coals inside to bake. Also it could be used for heating water so I would still have hot water and be able to heat house,I have hand pumps if necessary and I can hand wash and dry clothes also oil lamps and candles I love like you.. so no problem .. It would be my computer or phone with internet access, I have ice chests,.So computer or phone with internet, I say my Moto Q! LOL! I would mis my curlers, but I suspect knowing how my steam curlers work that I could easily convert something to wood heat to heat the steam roller, or use rags! LOL!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/12/2007 02:27:52 »

Yep, here's one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4445060.stm

I was going to choose my cell phone, but then I remembered I have one of those nifty weather radios that can be wound up that also has an attachment to charge my cell phone by winding up too.....so I guess I'll choose my computer. ;D

another_someone

« Reply #9 on: 11/12/2007 02:47:09 »

Well, if you say I am not allowed to attach my blender to a bicycle, then how come he is allowed a wind up laptop?  Not fair! [:(!]

Nope! Sorry - no large retinue of servants. Not even ONE

(erm.... well, genie says ONE is ok. Lucky you. Genie must like you!)  ;D

Oh dear, the poor guy's (or is it a female servant ;)) going to be worked to death.

Light : I would not mind going back to candles. Much more romantic anyways.

Hopeless (unless you have hundreds of them in large chandeliers).  Then, if you have lots of candles, you also need a well aired room.

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 11/12/2007 02:50:33 »
Incidentally, I get the impression that horseless carriages would be outlawed in your scheme, but what about horse drawn carriages - do they count - or will we have to revert to rickshaws and sedan chairs?

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #11 on: 11/12/2007 11:01:01 »
Well, if you say I am not allowed to attach my blender to a bicycle, then how come he is allowed a wind up laptop?  Not fair!

Who ever said genie was fair?!

[tell *me* about that! *I* gotta live with genie  ::) ]

But no, that’s not what I (or rather genie, don’t look at me!!) said.

I said << no, don't tell me you've hooked up your blender to the bycicle>>
I said don’t tell me. I did not say don’t do it.
You can do it – but I would need proof, in the form of a full action picture of course, dated and signed.

Oh dear, the poor guy's (or is it a female servant) going to be worked to death.

Genie says you may have a female servant – somewhat in compensation for the quite obviously many sacrifices you'd make  and to make your day - as this simple feat would quite obviously  make come true what appears to be a life long dream – BUT there will be no working to death…. unless it’s on your part to make servant happy so that she’ll not straight away walk out on you…

And why ……  lots of candles = a well aired room?

Trim the wicks and use good quality candles. Don’t be cheap.

Karen: Genie says: I’ll trade you 2 extra wishes for working prototype of alternatively powered steam curlers

On topic of the windup computer (thanks for the interesting link btw Carolyn) genie says (also somewhat taking into account George’s objections):

Sorry. No go. NO COMPUTERS ALLOWED *)  ¹)

*) exceptions see subsection 56a
¹) clickety

There might be some very few prototypes of windup computers out there but you can’t get one anywhere. There not being manufactured as we speak and I don’t think they’ll ever really be. So unless {insert subsection 56a here} you can build one yourself *and* from bitts you just happen to have around the house……

You guys have to pick something else !

« Last Edit: 11/12/2007 11:02:41 by Alandriel »

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #12 on: 11/12/2007 11:06:21 »
Incidentally, I get the impression that horseless carriages would be outlawed in your scheme, but what about horse drawn carriages - do they count - or will we have to revert to rickshaws and sedan chairs?

Genie says: real life horse power is just fine !  ;D

psst Genie......
I think George has plans to hook up a battery charger to his donkey as he goes to market and use the resulting charge to power his juicer

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11/12/2007 11:40:45 »
Well, if you say I am not allowed to attach my blender to a bicycle, then how come he is allowed a wind up laptop?  Not fair!

Who ever said genie was fair?!

[tell *me* about that! *I* gotta live with genie  ::) ]

But no, that’s not what I (or rather genie, don’t look at me!!) said.

I said << no, don't tell me you've hooked up your blender to the bycicle>>
I said don’t tell me. I did not say don’t do it.
You can do it – but I would need proof, in the form of a full action picture of course, dated and signed.

Oh dear, the poor guy's (or is it a female servant) going to be worked to death.

Genie says you may have a female servant – somewhat in compensation for the quite obviously many sacrifices you'd make  and to make your day - as this simple feat would quite obviously  make come true what appears to be a life long dream – BUT there will be no working to death…. unless it’s on your part to make servant happy so that she’ll not straight away walk out on you…

And why ……  lots of candles = a well aired room?

Trim the wicks and use good quality candles. Don’t be cheap.

Karen: Genie says: I’ll trade you 2 extra wishes for working prototype of alternatively powered steam curlers

On topic of the windup computer (thanks for the interesting link btw Carolyn) genie says (also somewhat taking into account George’s objections):

¹) clickety

There might be some very few prototypes of windup computers out there but you can’t get one anywhere. There not being manufactured as we speak and I don’t think they’ll ever really be. So unless {insert subsection 56a here} you can build one yourself *and* from bitts you just happen to have around the house……

I have a start already ! I will test it and post you a few pictures! LOL!

another_someone

« Reply #14 on: 11/12/2007 12:54:35 »

Genie says: real life horse power is just fine !  ;D

OK, problem solved - connect a horse mill to an electric generator, and we've got something going ;)

another_someone

« Reply #15 on: 11/12/2007 13:13:56 »

¹) clickety

The XO-1 (the laptop in question) in theory was supposed to be shipping in October this year, and I have read reviews of real products (even if early production).  Difficult to really call it a laptop - more a superanuated handheld - it really is designed to Internet and office applications rather than a development environment (certainly not something one can run a server on).

That having been said, it does claim to have both forth and python interpreters, which is sufficient for some quite respectable application development.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_components
http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/2007/04/olpc_hardware_a.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2223889,00.asp
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/technology/circuits/04pogue.html?em&ex=1191643200&en=54a7e1d4ece85192&ei=5087%0A
« Last Edit: 11/12/2007 13:48:08 by another_someone »

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #16 on: 11/12/2007 14:19:53 »
Genie takes gorgeous female slave away from George again

for cheating......

you're not supposed to re-invent the wheel but get back to basics !  ;D

without computers  [xx(]

another_someone

« Reply #17 on: 11/12/2007 17:04:29 »
Genie takes gorgeous female slave away from George again

Cosmetically nice, yes - but she really wasn't working hard enough (rather like a bimbo on reception, always doing her fingernails, and never doing any work).

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11/12/2007 17:44:29 »

¹) clickety

*SULKING NOW*

Offline Nobody's Confidant

• Neilep Level Member
  • So loud silence can be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11/12/2007 17:54:10 »
OI! No computers? Fine, I chose my X-box 360 then.

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11/12/2007 17:55:17 »
Stupid mean genie! *Rubs his sock and emergency genie comes out.* I will grant you- aw, you know the drill what do ya want?

I wish for the evil genie to be fair. :P

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13/12/2007 08:17:55 »
YAYYYYYY! LOL...

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
« Reply #22 on: 14/12/2007 09:52:39 »
Genie hands Carolyn a lovely wrapped box containing

plus a season's ticket for cinema, theatre or opera ~ her pick!  ;D
Life without 'puters is quite impossible to imagine these days but just think back 20 years or so. I still remember a first generation apple  :o ;D

ayayay George, no need to call the poor girl a bimbo. She only was just getting to the hard working bit.... Besides - you're sidetracking.... :P

Genie promptly fires Nobody's Confidant emergency genie. 'No work without a proper work permit buddy!'
Evil genie is fair but you're not playing by the rules. ONE gadget! Choose *the* one you cannot possibly live without and be happy. But since genie IS fair genie will grant you another go for genie is quite sure that by now you've gotten thoroughly sick at staring at your XBox (=1gadget) which is pretty useless on its own.

;) ;D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14/12/2007 16:50:52 »
I would like my favourite paper clip back !

oh yes !!...hours of endless fun !!

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14/12/2007 17:22:02 »
I would like my favourite paper clip back !

oh yes !!...hours of endless fun !!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 14/12/2007 17:22:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums