The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Another plastic Bottle Question  (Read 13059 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Another plastic Bottle Question
« on: 11/12/2007 21:43:14 »
Okay, two more questions.

First question:  We drink lots of bottled water in our home.  It used to be about 24 bottles a day, but Paul made me feel guilty about all the plastic bottles, so now I mostly buy it by the gallon.  By myself I drink a gallon a day.  We still purchase a fair amount in the single serving bottles though when we're out & away from home. (Please, no lectures about wasting money on bottled water, our water is horrible!)

I do a lot of container gardening and spend a small fortune on potting soil.  Someone suggested to me that I use used plastic bottles and/or styrofoam as filler in the flower pots.  This is supposed to cut down on my potting soil costs and make the pots weigh less making them easier to move around. My question is this.....Is this a good idea.  Will the chemicals used to make the plastic and styrofoam leach into the soil and hurt my plants and flowers.

Second question:  As I said I drink about a gallon of water a day.  I stopped in at a store one day for a bottle of water and all they had was this expensive 24 ounce bottle with a squirt lid.  Being parched, I gladly bought it.  I love this bottle, it 'seems' easier to drink large amounts of water with it.  In an effort to not use so many bottles, I refill this bottle several times a day and wash it out every evening. I replace it with a new one about once a week.  I've been told that I shouldn't refill bottles of water because it isn't safe.  Is that true and why?

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 11/12/2007 22:13:11 »
I do a lot of container gardening and spend a small fortune on potting soil.  Someone suggested to me that I use used plastic bottles and/or styrofoam as filler in the flower pots.  This is supposed to cut down on my potting soil costs and make the pots weigh less making them easier to move around. My question is this.....Is this a good idea.  Will the chemicals used to make the plastic and styrofoam leach into the soil and hurt my plants and flowers.

Would not worry about chemicals leaching from the plastic (if that much chemical leaches out, I would doubt it was safe to drink).

Now, the question I have is how small pieces do you cut the bottles up into.  Simply putting large chunks of plastic into the pots would worry me as to whether they would interfere with root growth, of the way water soaks through the soil (but then if my fingers are green, it means I am ill, and certainly has nothing to do with my gardening skills).

Second question:  As I said I drink about a gallon of water a day.  I stopped in at a store one day for a bottle of water and all they had was this expensive 24 ounce bottle with a squirt lid.  Being parched, I gladly bought it.  I love this bottle, it 'seems' easier to drink large amounts of water with it.  In an effort to not use so many bottles, I refill this bottle several times a day and wash it out every evening. I replace it with a new one about once a week.  I've been told that I shouldn't refill bottles of water because it isn't safe.  Is that true and why?

Tell that to all the people who sell reusable bottles.  I have bottles (mostly metal) that are many years old (they are the kind where you pour water out of, and into my mouth, so my lips don't touch the bottle, so minimising the amount of bacteria that can get back into the bottle).

If you drink out of a bottle that touches your mouth, over time you will have bacterial or fungal growth developing in the water, but you'll soon realise that by looking at the sides of the bottle, and the taste of the water.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/12/2007 03:25:50 »

Would not worry about chemicals leaching from the plastic (if that much chemical leaches out, I would doubt it was safe to drink).

Now, the question I have is how small pieces do you cut the bottles up into.  Simply putting large chunks of plastic into the pots would worry me as to whether they would interfere with root growth, of the way water soaks through the soil (but then if my fingers are green, it means I am ill, and certainly has nothing to do with my gardening skills).

George, the bottles are cut into thirds or cut in half, not in small pieces and fill up about half of the container.  Interference with root growth is another concern.

Tell that to all the people who sell reusable bottles.  I have bottles (mostly metal) that are many years old (they are the kind where you pour water out of, and into my mouth, so my lips don't touch the bottle, so minimising the amount of bacteria that can get back into the bottle).

If you drink out of a bottle that touches your mouth, over time you will have bacterial or fungal growth developing in the water, but you'll soon realise that by looking at the sides of the bottle, and the taste of the water.

As I said, I do wash the bottle out every night, as well as the squirty top and I replace it with a new bottle once a week.  I have noticed that the bottle seems more flimsy at the end of the week.

Offline pirunner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/12/2007 01:25:57 »
All plastic bottles do leech chemicals and plastic into the water. The softer the plastic, the more prominent this effect. I would say that the bottle is getting flimsier because much of the plastic holding the bottle together has leeched into the water you drink.

This also answers your original second question. Non-reusable bottles are not made to last, and therefore leech into the water. Reusable plastic bottles are better, but still leech.

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 13/12/2007 02:22:16 »
All plastic bottles do leech chemicals and plastic into the water. The softer the plastic, the more prominent this effect. I would say that the bottle is getting flimsier because much of the plastic holding the bottle together has leeched into the water you drink.

This also answers your original second question. Non-reusable bottles are not made to last, and therefore leech into the water. Reusable plastic bottles are better, but still leech.

I was wondering that aspect, but then is that not also a risk when the bottle is new (I suspect this may be more true now as we move towards biodegradable bottles than was true in the days when bottles were more resilient - but then that leaves the question whether these bottles are at all save to dispose of in land fill sites - which was the raison d'etre for making them biodegradable)?

paul.fr

« Reply #5 on: 13/12/2007 15:08:33 »
"I have noticed that the bottle seems more flimsy at the end of the week."

Is it really flimsy, as in, has it started to degrade. Or is it just because you may be constantly handling and squeezing the bottle that it has become crumpled and so appears flimsy?

question:
what time frame are we talking about for the leeching effect, and after what time frame would this actually be noticeable in terms of taste?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/12/2007 02:37:14 »
"I have noticed that the bottle seems more flimsy at the end of the week."

Is it really flimsy, as in, has it started to degrade. Or is it just because you may be constantly handling and squeezing the bottle that it has become crumpled and so appears flimsy?

question:
what time frame are we talking about for the leeching effect, and after what time frame would this actually be noticeable in terms of taste?

It probably is weaker because of the excessive use of it, but by the end of the week it does seem to affect the taste of the water though admittedly that may be all in my mind.
« Last Edit: 14/12/2007 02:57:34 by Carolyn »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/12/2007 02:48:03 »
Why not make something nice out of all the plastic bottles ?....ear rings ?...a hat ?....bath toy ?....the list is endless !!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/12/2007 02:58:55 »
Why not make something nice out of all the plastic bottles ?....ear rings ?...a hat ?....bath toy ?....the list is endless !!

What a great idea!  I'll see what I can come up with.

another_someone

« Reply #9 on: 14/12/2007 03:02:23 »
by the end of the week it does seem to affect the taste of the water though admittedly that may be all in my mind.

I would also ask whether this was from chemicals leaching from the bottle, or from organisms growing in the bottle?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14/12/2007 03:18:34 »
by the end of the week it does seem to affect the taste of the water though admittedly that may be all in my mind.

I would also ask whether this was from chemicals leaching from the bottle, or from organisms growing in the bottle?

Just as I do all of my plastic cups & glasses, I wash the bottle & squirty top out EVERY SINGLE NIGHT in hot soapy water with a little bleach and rinse thoroughly in hot water, then turn it upside down in the rack to air dry. I don't get strange tastes out of the glasses and cups.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14/12/2007 03:29:03 »

Plastic gallon milk jugs can be sunk into the ground next to your plants use a needle to poke several holes from half way down to the bottom, not to big of holes smallish. Fill the jugs with water and they will slowly water each plant over a couple of days at a time! It is great for saving and conserving water. small plants use small bottles. Put the lids on so they don't evaporate but only drip iut slowly into the plants surrounding soil and roots!

another_someone

« Reply #12 on: 14/12/2007 05:44:43 »
Just as I do all of my plastic cups & glasses, I wash the bottle & squirty top out EVERY SINGLE NIGHT in hot soapy water with a little bleach and rinse thoroughly in hot water, then turn it upside down in the rack to air dry. I don't get strange tastes out of the glasses and cups.

So the question then is whether the plastics involved are comfortable with the bleach - can't imagine the detergent is the problem (although even that cannot be ruled out), but it might be that the bleach is attacking the plastic.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14/12/2007 05:54:15 »

So the question then is whether the plastics involved are comfortable with the bleach - can't imagine the detergent is the problem (although even that cannot be ruled out), but it might be that the bleach is attacking the plastic.

I didn't think about that but I suppose it's possible, although it's only a capful in a whole sink of water.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14/12/2007 06:00:13 »
As ewe can see, they make great finger nail protectors for ewe girlies !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14/12/2007 06:05:11 »
 LOL! The middle one is unusual! what comes in it?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14/12/2007 06:05:53 »
LOL LOL MY MIND IS IN THE GUTTER!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14/12/2007 06:57:47 »
As ewe can see, they make great finger nail protectors for ewe girlies !!

Now ya tell me!  Where the heck was this suggestion two hours ago when I broke two nails? >:(

Offline pirunner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15/12/2007 02:15:51 »
There are many sites on the web with products made from reused/recycled/repurposed materials. Check out the following link:

http://replayground.com/pages/links/linkhome.asp

The first and second sections under "Other good links" contains links to many sights like this.There are some pretty awesome ideas...I particularly like the ideas regarding motherboards.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 15/12/2007 02:15:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums