The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Reverse Charging Effect  (Read 5749 times)

Offline pirunner

• View Profile
Reverse Charging Effect
« on: 13/12/2007 02:03:41 »
I have experienced the following with my cell phone AND laptop. That said, I have now learned my lesson, but WHY does it happen?

I used to leave my cell phone ALWAYS plugged in and charging. Some with the laptop. Both would be off. Eventually (like a year later)the battery life on both were close to NOTHING. My cell phone for example constantly sounds the low battery beep. Why would my charging have this REVERSE effect?

another_someone

Reverse Charging Effect
« Reply #1 on: 13/12/2007 02:27:47 »
Laptop batteries are notoriously short lived.

Old NiCad batteries (and to a lesser extent, NiMH batteries) needed to be regularly deep charged or they would have a memory effect, but most modern laptops and phones would use LiIon batteries, and should not have the same problem.

The problem with laptops (and I suspect maybe ultra compact mobile phones) is trying to squeeze too much power from too light a battery, so trading energy density for longevity.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Reverse Charging Effect
« Reply #2 on: 14/12/2007 11:15:21 »
I have been told by my brother who is an electronic engineer and had lectures on this sort of thing, that deep discharging Li-ion cells or definitley leaving them uncharged is bad for them, but I don't know the mechanism

another_someone

Reverse Charging Effect
« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2007 15:51:47 »
I have been told by my brother who is an electronic engineer and had lectures on this sort of thing, that deep discharging Li-ion cells or definitley leaving them uncharged is bad for them, but I don't know the mechanism

Recently I something about this on the web - but again, don't know the background to it (don't even recollect where it was, or how reliable the source was).

The Naked Scientists Forum

Reverse Charging Effect
« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2007 15:51:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums