The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Water For Gas  (Read 3414 times)

Offline AltEnergy

• First timers
    • View Profile
Water For Gas
« on: 13/12/2007 02:52:22 »
In my search for a cheaper source of fuel for my car, I came across this advertisement:

Convert Your Car To Burn WATER--Boost Mileage 60%. Do You Want To Know Right Now How You Can Drive Around Using Water As Fuel And Laugh At Rising Gas Costs, While Reducing Emissions And Preventing Global Warming? Generate Free Energy By Boosting The Efficiency Of Your Poorly Designed Engine!!! at newbielink:http://water4gas.reviewurl.com/ [nonactive]

Has anyone tried out this technology before? Is it safe? ???

another_someone

Water For Gas
« Reply #1 on: 13/12/2007 03:26:00 »
Not a new idea - feeding water into the combustion chamber is a very old idea - the idea being that as the fuel burns, it converts the water into steam, and water expanding into steam has a larger expansion ratio than the normal combustion products of fuel and air.

It may have worked in the past (although not to the extent of their extravagant claims), particularly with some engines appropriately tuned for it (e.g. race engines).

With modern engines, and electronic engine management, I would imagine it has a great chance of doing significant damage to the engine, and almost certainly damage your cat, and probably confuse the engine management system.

That at least is my supposition - others may know better.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Water For Gas
« Reply #2 on: 13/12/2007 13:12:28 »
In my search for a cheaper source of fuel for my car, I came across this advertisement:

Convert Your Car To Burn WATER--Boost Mileage 60%. Do You Want To Know Right Now How You Can Drive Around Using Water As Fuel And Laugh At Rising Gas Costs, While Reducing Emissions And Preventing Global Warming? Generate Free Energy By Boosting The Efficiency Of Your Poorly Designed Engine!!! at http://water4gas.reviewurl.com/

Has anyone tried out this technology before? Is it safe? ???
Using the car's electric energy to electrolize water into H2 and O2 to burn inside the engine? So you will use 100 units of energy from your car to obtain 20 units of energy? Good system to make your car go slower increasing fuel consumption!
But these people have ever gone to basic school?

another_someone

Water For Gas
« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2007 02:30:19 »
My mistake - I had not read the mechanism by which it was meant to work.  I had heard about water injection systems in the past, and had not realised this was a hydrogen generating system.  In that case, I rather agree with Alberto's comments.

lyner

Water For Gas
« Reply #4 on: 15/12/2007 22:22:31 »
The original system just injected water to increase the effectve compression ratio. It's a great way to blow the cylinder head off the engine if you don't get the quantity of water right.
As usual, you don't get anything for nothing!

The Naked Scientists Forum

Water For Gas
« Reply #4 on: 15/12/2007 22:22:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums