The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you help me with Weather Simulations for a game, I am working on?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Mellspire

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I am currently programming a text-based game and I am in the process of creating accurate weather.

I am working on creating seasons for the game which is a fairly simple process. The game is based on 7,889,400 second-long years - a quarter of an earth year - with the solstices beginning at the first day of a year and on the last day with the equinoxes exactly between each solstice.

As seasons seem to be based solely on the tilt of the earth (from my understanding) my first question is: does the tilt of the earth change from year to year, season to season, day to day? And would this be what causes one summer to be hotter than the next and one winter to snow more than the last?

Thank you very much,
Mells
« Last Edit: 25/03/2008 05:41:06 by Karen W. »

another_someone

I don't understand - one has a winter solstice and a summer solstice - is that what you are doing, or are you only creating one solstice a year - that would not be a legitimate an option.

Yes, the seasons are defined by the tilt of the Earth.

The tilt of the Earth does change over time.  This does alter long term weather trends, but not the major influence on a day to day basis.

There are also weather trends caused by changes in the Sun (our Sun has a 22 year cycle of its own, as well as longer term trends).

There are also very long term changes in weather caused by changes in the location of land masses on the surface of the Earth, and due to changes in the location of the Sun relative to the plane of the galaxy.

In shorter time scales, there are changes in weather caused by the cycles of the moon (whether some of the other planets may have an impact is open to debate).

Ocean currents can also have a significant impact on weather (and on a year to year basis, is one of the more significant factors).  Major volcanic eruptions can influence weather for up to a few years after the eruption.  Pollution can have an effect in many different ways, both locally and globally.

These are just a few of the parameters that can influence weather on different time scales.  I am sure many people can add quite a few parameters I have overlooked.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums