The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: why is the sun cold in winter?  (Read 4881 times)

paul.fr

why is the sun cold in winter?
« on: 21/12/2007 05:25:01 »
yesterday was nice and sunny, yet is was also pretty cold. Why am i not feeling the warmth from the sun? surely it (the sun) does not get colder in winter.

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31/12/2007 02:34:36 »
Apart from your emotions, in winter the angle of sunlight is less and the intensity as well.

For example, sunlight at the equator, is direct, but in England you get it at an 45 degree angle, so half as much.

Winter means a greater angle and less light.

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 31/12/2007 08:51:49 »
yesterday was nice and sunny, yet is was also pretty cold. Why am i not feeling the warmth from the sun? surely it (the sun) does not get colder in winter.

The sun is not colder, but the air on your face is.

The low angle of the sun that Titanscape mentions might make a marginal difference to the colour temperature of the Sun. but I cannot think this would make much difference (it certainly would not make it any colder than that which you might feel of a late summer afternoon, when the Sun may also be at a similar altitude, but the air temperature would be much warmer).

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/01/2008 14:43:02 »
Yes, and the sun warms the ground depending on it's angle, to varying degrees. The ground heats the air you feel.
« Last Edit: 01/01/2008 14:46:40 by Titanscape »

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/01/2008 14:58:01 »
It is also because the distance of the sun to the Earth is further away in the winter time.
That is the reason for you, feeling colder in the winter and that the North or North-East
winds are harsher. Damper too.

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 01/01/2008 16:49:26 »
It is also because the distance of the sun to the Earth is further away in the winter time.

This is true in the southern hemisphere, but the converse is true of the northern hemisphere; which is is why the southern hemisphere seasons are slightly more extreme than in the northern hemisphere.  It should be stressed that the difference in distance is not that great.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/01/2008 17:13:22 »

I know that but as I do live in the Northern Hemisphere then the colder side of this discussion works for me anyway.

This is true in the southern hemisphere, but the converse is true of the northern hemisphere; which is is why the southern hemisphere seasons are slightly more extreme than in the northern hemisphere.  It should be stressed that the difference in distance is not that great.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 01/01/2008 17:13:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums