The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does My Battery Strength Meter Always Indicate MORE When Turned Back On ?  (Read 6647 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Battery Level Indicatorologists,

Battery Level Indicators are my all time favourite way of viewing the strength of batteries...oh yes they are !!

Now here's one displaying filled-up full-on battery luff and joy !!

Oh my !!!...makes me wanna weep at it's awesome puissance and adorableness !
*le sigh*

.....I think there must be Battery Power Fairies living in my mobile phone (US Translation service: Mobile = Cell.......sheesh !!).......because when my battery is running low......and I then turn it off.......Later, when I turn my phone back on the Battery Power Fairies have sprinkled Battery Power dust on the battery and given it more power !....now....I am NOT gullible and I sure this is what has happened.....

...But ( for humors sake)is there another reason why a battery should find itself with more power when it's been turned back on after a while ?...it's the same with torches !...in fact...anything battery powered !!..*giggle*...

...I can't imagine it myself being anything other than the Battery Power Fairies but if there is another answer...please do tell !

Thanks

Neil
Citizen of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

ps: Hugs & Shmishes !

« Last Edit: 22/12/2007 20:12:04 by neilep »

Offline Pumblechook

• View Profile
Maybe the internal resistance increases when the battery warms up..  It is cold when you first power it. I have noticed the effect.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Thank ewe Pumblechook, perhaps a passing battery level meter expert will pass by and give us the answer !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I think with like  CAR BATTERY IT IS A LEAD CELL BATTERY AND THE ELECTROLYTES MAY RECHARGE IT A BIT AFTER SITTING A WHILE. IT WILL PROBABLY DO THIS A COUPLE TIMES BEFORE IT STOPS WORKING ALTOGETHER.

Oh sorry about the caps.. If it is a cell phone wouldn't it to depend on weather it is a new cell with Nickel Cadmium batteries.. an older may recharge a tad but drop quickly too after sitting.. I am not for sure, but I think new batteries may be different.
« Last Edit: 26/12/2007 23:50:12 by Karen W. »

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
A similar thing happens with remote batteries. The telly says that the batteries needs replacing, you take out the batteries and put them back in again and the telly is happy.

It also happens with the mouse batteries.

I conclude this has little to do with mobile phones.

(karen, could you not just go back and edit the post rather than saying sorry for the caps?)
« Last Edit: 26/12/2007 23:32:10 by turnipsock »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
LOL.. nope was too tired to go back and redo the whole thing!...Hee hee!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
A similar thing happens with remote batteries. The telly says that the batteries needs replacing, you take out the batteries and put them back in again and the telly is happy.

It also happens with the mouse batteries.

I conclude this has little to do with mobile phones.

(karen, could you not just go back and edit the post rather than saying sorry for the caps?)

I have also noticed this with my TV remote !

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Batteries use chemical reactions that generate a flow of electrons between two electrodes.  As the electrons and positive ions congregate near the electrodes when the battery is delivering a current these charges create an electric field that effectively opposes the voltage on the battery.  This process is known as polarisation and effectively reduces the battery voltage a bit.  To counteract this, batteries have depolarising agents to minimise this effect and this improves the voltage.  When the battery has been switched off a bit an the electrodes have been fully depolarised the battery voltage improves for a while and if you are just measuring the battery voltage with a light load the battery may look a lot better but when it has been operating under its normal load for a short time the battery voltage returns to normal.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums