The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Could I Not Feel The Pain ? (sore fingers)  (Read 4907 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Could I Not Feel The Pain ? (sore fingers)
« on: 22/12/2007 17:48:07 »
This has stuck in my mind for years and years !

I remember as kid walking a fair long walk along a road which had a cemented wall flanked along one side. As I walked I just held my hand out and aloowed my fingertips to gently scrape across the surface.....it kind of tickled so I carried on....

.....by the time I had reached the end of the road I looked at my fingertips and they were red raw !!...they were so red that I must have scraped off a couple layers of skin..and they were akin to a  really nasty blood covered graze.....and boy !!...did they then hurt !!

Why did I only start to feel the pain when the scraping had finished ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27/12/2007 19:06:33 »
Ok! I answered this once and deleted thinking it was a lame guess, but sense no one is posting to it.. heres my lame guess anyway! SO THERE!!

I think the constant rub may cause like a numbing effect rather then pain until you stopped..Kind of like vibration against the skin after a little bit it becomes kind of numb feeling.. But I am no expert. Just a guess you know!

Offline stana

• Dare to be yourself!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/12/2007 19:09:27 »
That sounds like a legitimate answer. I scratchded my hand once..and kept scratching. The itch left, and when i pulled my hand away i had shed the skin off, and it was red, then it started to hurt.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/12/2007 20:50:23 »
I had a machine like this I called it my fat shaker.. It had a large leather strap that wrapped around you and hooked back to the machine as it moved up and down very quickly! You flipped the red switch and it shook the holy crud out of your fat behind and thighs! Flip the green and it shut off. I believe I forgot the dial to raise and lower the intensity of the vibration! Within a second or two my thighs were numb and after  a few minutes, without the belt I was sore from the vibration.. but it did not hurt during the vibrating! Odd.. But that is part of my reasoning about your question.. vibration or friction causing numbing!

« Last Edit: 28/12/2007 02:18:12 by Karen W. »

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #4 on: 28/12/2007 14:00:27 »
I think that as long as the stimulus is constant and not initially discomforting, you become habitualised to the stimulation. Over time the effects can become damaging but you don't immediately notice them because they are gradual.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/12/2007 14:22:24 »
That sounds like a legitimate answer. I scratchded my hand once..and kept scratching. The itch left, and when i pulled my hand away i had shed the skin off, and it was red, then it started to hurt.

THANK EWE STANA.

I appreciate that ewe had a similar experience and it does seem that Karen has got it right ..... (SHOCK HORROR !!...LOL ;D)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/12/2007 14:25:36 »
I had a machine like this I called it my fat shaker.. It had a large leather strap that wrapped around you and hooked back to the machine as it moved up and down very quickly! You flipped the red switch and it shook the holy crud out of your fat behind and thighs! Flip the green and it shut off. I believe I forgot the dial to raise and lower the intensity of the vibration! Within a second or two my thighs were numb and after  a few minutes, without the belt I was sore from the vibration.. but it did not hurt during the vibrating! Odd.. But that is part of my reasoning about your question.. vibration or friction causing numbing!

THANK EWE KAREN....LOL..yes, i remember those machines !!.....did they actually ever work... ?.I remember seeing them in lots of 70's sketches !!...great picture by the resident artist !!
I am sure ewe are right about the subtle continuity of the friction having a numbing effect....it seems perfectly legitimate.

Thank ewe again for your tireless effort to answer the question.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28/12/2007 14:28:24 »
I think that as long as the stimulus is constant and not initially discomforting, you become habitualised to the stimulation. Over time the effects can become damaging but you don't immediately notice them because they are gradual.

Thank ewe _STEFAN_.

I appreciate very much your answer here. It does seem that the slow effect of the rubbing and it's consistency in application acted to de-sensitise and allow for the damage to continue exactly as ewe have described.

THANK EWE.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30/12/2007 01:13:17 »

THANK EWE STANA.

I appreciate that ewe had a similar experience and it does seem that Karen has got it right ..... (SHOCK HORROR !!...LOL ;D)

Shock and horror!!! LOL.. Your a scoundrel..LOL!! Oh and Your welcome!

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30/12/2007 09:26:58 »
Acupuncture might hold a clue to this Neil. It's possible that the initial pain free act of dragging fingers on the wall may have released the bodies own pain killers into the circulation. I too have done this when sanding vehicles down for refinishing. The sand papers often performed the same pain free experience followed by blood oozing from my fingerprint-less digits and then came the discomfort and pain. We used to put masking tape on our fingertips to prevent this. I can also remember doing the same thing on a wall while walking with fingers dragging on the surface as you did. Must be a male trait reaching back to when we dragged our knuckles on the floor as we walked on all fours.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31/12/2007 01:49:40 »
LOL LOL..Good one Andrew!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 31/12/2007 01:49:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums