The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Radioactive Materials.  (Read 4178 times)

Offline stana

• Dare to be yourself!
    • View Profile
Radioactive Materials.
« on: 24/12/2007 20:27:01 »
Hey guys. I was reading a few articles about the Alexander Litvinenko Homocide on wikipedia. And i started to wonder. How was he murdered? Because whenever i have seen or heard of radioactive materails, they have always been a SOLID? I dont think he would of swallowed a full chunk of plutonium 210 accidently. Could this radioactive material be ground down, and still have the same effects? Or was it already in powder form?

Thanks!

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Radioactive Materials.
« Reply #1 on: 25/12/2007 19:35:16 »
Hey guys. I was reading a few articles about the Alexander Litvinenko Homocide on wikipedia. And i started to wonder. How was he murdered? Because whenever i have seen or heard of radioactive materails, they have always been a SOLID? I dont think he would of swallowed a full chunk of plutonium 210 accidently. Could this radioactive material be ground down, and still have the same effects? Or was it already in powder form?
Thanks!
What is radioactive is the atom, not the solid, so it doesn't matter if the substance is solid or liquid or gas; you dissolve metallic polonium with an acid and you have a water soluble radiactive salt of polonium.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Radioactive Materials.
« Reply #1 on: 25/12/2007 19:35:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums