The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Anti-squarks and Anti-photinos  (Read 2699 times)

Offline C-guy

• View Profile
Anti-squarks and Anti-photinos
« on: 05/08/2004 03:33:20 »
With all the string theorists going on about supersymmetry and  other stuff, I wonder if there are such things as anti-squarks and anti-photinos.

Offline qpan

• View Profile
Re: Anti-squarks and Anti-photinos
« Reply #1 on: 05/08/2004 16:03:42 »
Yeah - this is a strange subject. They were predicted decades ago, but no-one has discovered one yet. This could just be like the hunt for the Higgs Boson, another wild good chase!

The scientists are probably wrong in how they are interpreting string theory (or its new version M-theory) at the moment, as the theory is still in its early stages. All will be resolved in due course. But due course may not be in our lifetimes!

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/08/2004 18:05:11 »
There should be an anti-particle for every particle. Of course, by the time you are looking for something as unstable as a super-symmetric-partner particle, you will need some real help finding its anti-partner.

I also wonder about the Higgs boson. Of course every particle physicist wants to find it. I wonder if it exists, or if there is just a mathematics problem in the standard model. I was really unimpressed when I saw the reason for the Higgs boson: The matrix equations for the standard model can't be solved unless the mass term is zero. I couldn't believe it. It reminded me of the "ether" problem of 100 years ago, where physicists invented this entire theory because they did not understand the way nature worked. Of course, we were lucky enough to get Einstein to explain it to us. We need somthing like that again.

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/08/2004 14:19:35 »
But before we get to anti-squarks, anti-gluinos, anti-photinos, anti-gravitinos, anti-Higgsinos, anti-sleptons, anti-axinos, anti-zenos and anti-winos, no one has yet even discovered a super-symmetric-partner particle! They are (as i recall) too massive to be discovered using current particle accelerators which are not energetic enough to produce such particles. Maybe with further developments in current "high temperature" (below 40K)superconductors, electromagnets with many times the field intensity of current ones can be created, yielding far more powerful particle accelerators. And far more expensive energy bills.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 06/08/2004 14:19:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums