The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What kind of effects will the moon have on earth as it moves away from us?  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
   As I understand from watching a science program last night, the moon is spiraling
TWO inches a year further away from the Earth, what kind of effects will we
see over the next FIFTY MILLION or is 50 Billion YEARS???
  I understand, the earth will speed up again as it did before the moon entered our orbit. I also understand that as it, the moon moves further away, it changes the
tides and that they will become something like TEN THOUSAND FOOT TIDES or some such incredible number!
   The program I watched said the earth will speed up spinning again faster, as it once had before the moon entered our orbit and had slowed it down.
   So I guess what I want to know are things like: Will the tides  cause new life by washing away and eroding the lands where the new tides reach.
    What EFFECTS of NOT having the moon in our orbit will occur to HUMAN LIFE as well as ocean and animal and insect life on the earth?
    Will plant growth SPEED UP or SLOW DOWN? STOP all together?
What about OUR AGING PROCESS? Can we continue to live life as we know it on earth?
    Since the moon is gaining 2 inches a year away from us, is there anything that we can do to prevent that?
    I understand that as it orbits us faster and faster that it kicks out a bit further away every year... So surely with the effects of the moon here now, things will most
definitely change drastically, but what will we, and OUR CHILDREN and THEIRS to come, be be seeing over TIME and in their futures? Will the changes be sudden , or will
they occur slowly as I suspect? What are some changes we can see already if there are any?
   What will the END RESULT be, for life here on earth as we know it?

« Last Edit: 03/01/2008 00:50:13 by Karen W. »

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Karen a couple of weeks ago there was a similar discussion on this topic.
About the planets moving further away or closer to Earth.

:-\
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=12013.0

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yes there was.. in Neily's Thread. "Are All The Planets Orbits Moving Away ?" I have some more specific questions regarding just our moon and the earth and its outcomes. So I thought it best to ask in a new thread rather then to change the line of discussion in Neily's thread!
« Last Edit: 02/01/2008 14:30:52 by Karen W. »

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
No Problemo! LOL

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
That's a silly typeface for a silly alarmist message. Two inches a year is a mile every 30,000 years so in 50 million years that makes it a bit over one thousand miles in 250 thousand miles further away.  If the moon moves further away the tides obviously get smaller not larger.

If you want something really and true and terminal why not say that in about a thousand million years the rarth will become uninhabitable as the sun warms up and the sun eventually consumes the earth as it entrs its red giant phase  :-)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am not sure what you are saying about a silly type face alarmist messages. All I have stated was what I watched and heard on the science show I watched last night which made me want to know more about effects this will eventually have here. No alarmist message involved. I am curious about the things they said about the tide etc... The reason I posed these questions is because they gave very little information as to what effects over time this will have..

Yes they already stated that according to their calculations the sun will burn out in um I don't remember if it is 10 million or billion years.. but my question was the about the moon and earth!( I stand corrected 10 billion years)

Thanks for your post , maybe you could explain what kind of effects being without a moon would produce here?
« Last Edit: 03/01/2008 00:54:51 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
This show says that with the moon gone that the earth will spin FASTER AND THE TIDES WOULD BECOME VERY HIGH... AS I MENTIONED... Is there a discrepancy in the information they presented in the program....? These are all questions I have.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
I see no reason why the earth would rotate faster and the tides would be bigger if the moon was removed.  The earth's axis could become less stable until it settled down to be perpendicular to its orbit  which could have interesting climatic consequences tides would be smaller the solar tides are about one quarter that due to the moon.

Expressed in the way you have given it I cannot take the programme you are referring to seriously and think it was seriously flawed.

re the type face on my PC your first message comes out on about 20 point bold italic bright green!  all others are in a more normal type face

Offline Dick1038

• View Profile
The moving away will decrease the tidal force exerted by the moon's gravity, so the earth's rotation rate will not decrease as quickly as it is today. My understanding of the problem is that the moon stabilizes the earth's axis  and earth's axis will indeed become less stable. It will swing through large angles, back and forth, and cause catastrophic climate changes.  But humans will probably be extinct by then.

Perhaps the tilt will become severe like that of Uranus and Neptune.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I see no reason why the earth would rotate faster and the tides would be bigger if the moon was removed.  The earth's axis could become less stable until it settled down to be perpendicular to its orbit  which could have interesting climatic consequences tides would be smaller the solar tides are about one quarter that due to the moon.

Expressed in the way you have given it I cannot take the programme you are referring to seriously and think it was seriously flawed.

re the type face on my PC your first message comes out on about 20 point bold italic bright green!  all others are in a more normal type face
Yeah, I typed in nice green font size 16, cause I was in a good mood. Sorry It was too big and green. There all better!

Thanks
« Last Edit: 02/01/2008 21:45:27 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
The moving away will decrease the tidal force exerted by the moon's gravity, so the earth's rotation rate will not decrease as quickly as it is today. My understanding of the problem is that the moon stabilizes the earth's axis  and earth's axis will indeed become less stable. It will swing through large angles, back and forth, and cause catastrophic climate changes.  But humans will probably be extinct by then.

Perhaps the tilt will become severe like that of Uranus and Neptune.

They did mention something about a tilt. But They definitely said that the moon moving away would change the gravity and the earth would resume spinning faster as it once did before the moon ... at least that was the theory they presented.

Thanks Dick.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length