The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can a series of stars join together as one?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Can a series of stars join together as one?
« on: 02/01/2008 15:15:23 »
I was just thinking about how many stars are in the sky, and wondered if any ever collide or merge forming ONE large star?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #1 on: 02/01/2008 16:17:52 »
Stars are more likely to split as they form in close proximity rather than merge because they need to get rid of excess angular momentum.

Individual stars in galaxies even when they collide with other galaxies almost never collide. Stars are just far too tiny compared with the space between them even in relatively dense parts of galaxies.

The only cases of stars merging happen when close binaries evolve and this can lead to some quite spectacular results even for relatively small stars like the sun in close binary syatems.  The largest star evolves to the red giant phase first and as it expands it dumps a lot of new material on the smaller star.  The larger star then settles down as a white dwarf  the second star then evolves to the red giant phase and dumps some material on to the white dwarf which slowly gets hotter until it reaches a critical point and explodes in a really violent thermonuclear explosion known as a Type 1A supernova.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2008 19:09:04 »
Here is a computer simulation of two Neutron stars colliding

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/resources/ava/page/index.php?file=S0606neutcoll

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/2008 01:09:06 »
Stars are more likely to split as they form in close proximity rather than merge because they need to get rid of excess angular momentum.

Individual stars in galaxies even when they collide with other galaxies almost never collide. Stars are just far too tiny compared with the space between them even in relatively dense parts of galaxies.

The only cases of stars merging happen when close binaries evolve and this can lead to some quite spectacular results even for relatively small stars like the sun in close binary syatems.  The largest star evolves to the red giant phase first and as it expands it dumps a lot of new material on the smaller star.  The larger star then settles down as a white dwarf  the second star then evolves to the red giant phase and dumps some material on to the white dwarf which slowly gets hotter until it reaches a critical point and explodes in a really violent thermonuclear explosion known as a Type 1A supernova.

Supernova.. I think I may have seen a picture of one.. quite spectacular colorful thing! I wondered about that! Thanks.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2008 01:20:46 »
Here is a computer simulation of two Neutron stars colliding

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/resources/ava/page/index.php?file=S0606neutcoll

That was neat!It looks like it would be pretty cool site to watch through a scope!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2008 01:20:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums