The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the disadvantages of large scale solar arrays?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline mafew

• First timers
    • View Profile
  Hi, I was wondering about the potential problems that could be caused by decisions to make large solar arrays based on current technologies, similar to a proposed giant array in Arizona.  What would happen if the solar tech were to have a breakthrough late in the building of such a giant project?  How could a large project leave itself open for improvements with out everything before seeming wasteful?
   Another question I have is about creating large dark colored areas that absorb heat.  What kind of impact would the equivalent of a huge paved area have on the local wildlife and the air temp of the surrounding area?  Would the arrays cast shadows on things that might require light underneath? 

Sorry; a lot of questions!  But I've been wondering about these for a while.  Thanks!   -Matthew Johnson  Winooski, Vermont USA       

Mod edit - formatted the subject as a question.  Please try to do this to help keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate - thanks!
« Last Edit: 31/07/2008 10:39:00 by BenV »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums