The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How to Track Down a Scientist  (Read 8595 times)

Offline briar_borealis

• First timers
    • View Profile
How to Track Down a Scientist
« on: 12/08/2004 14:15:06 »
I'm a 22 year old chick who's going to grad school to study social work.  I'm interested in meeting scientists for dating purposes, but I can't for the life of me figure out where to track 'em down, short of showing up at Fermilab (I live in a western suburb of Chicago).  Where do scientists tend to hang out when they're not at work?  Am I going to have to resort to personals ads?

Offline Broca

• View Profile
Re: How to Track Down a Scientist
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2004 15:43:17 »
Oh I can not wait to hear some of the answers you will be getting for your post! <smile> You live in Chicago... go to the Adler Planatarium or the Field museum. I would imagine young scientists would eventually go there. I would also think the steps of some of the science buildings on campus would allow you to see them come and go from their work place. If you want an older guy then take their class. "just guessing"

Offline qpan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2004 16:39:33 »
Well, you certainly have an idea of what kind of guy you want eh?

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline briar_borealis

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/08/2004 17:55:20 »
Well, er, um... *looks down, scuffs toe in the dirt* <small>yeah.</small>[:I]

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/08/2004 18:29:05 »
What do you think of my old friend Edgar here?

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/08/2004 18:30:58 »
And this is Oswald... ;)

Offline briar_borealis

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/08/2004 18:44:15 »
Good point.  OK, time to bring in the Dirty Old Man Constant: 22-7,X2, means no one over the age of 30 need apply.

Now if you're going to tell me that Edgar and Oswald are younger than 31, dude, I got nothing.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/08/2004 21:13:12 »
...there's probably a site called ScientistsReunited or something !!..I can just imagine gangs of science blokes and blokettes hanging around bars drinking test-tubes of beer and shouting naughty formulas at people and meeting up in quiet locals to perform new and exciting naughty experiments!!....I suppose you could always join a dating agency and specify scientific types !

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline briar_borealis

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/08/2004 22:17:37 »
there's probably a site called ScientistsReunited or something
Probably.
Although newbielink:http://www.scientistsreunited.com [nonactive] does not exist.
There's gotta be something.

I suppose you could always join a dating agency and specify scientific types !
The only problem with that idea is, they want money and I'm a student living on the cheap.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12/08/2004 22:26:35 »
Nice piccy on your profile Julia (Hey, my wifeys called Julia...are we married ?).....guess not eh ?..still, I bet you'll get a few lookers now that I've mentioned your profile.....but ....I do wish you luck and welcome to the site.

Offline briar_borealis

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12/08/2004 22:50:44 »
Danke, my dear neilep.  You are correct that we are not married but compliments are always welcome.

A little bit of pokey-pokey through Google has led me to newbielink:http://www.sciconnect.com [nonactive].  It costs money but sometimes love is expensive, I guess.

I'm still extremely open to suggestions for other ways to meet a scientist, though!!!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12/08/2004 23:02:40 »
C'mon all you Chicago dwelling young scientific bods....there's a babe here for ya !...do we all get an invite to the wedding ?...ok ok...I'll shut up now !!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13/08/2004 01:01:26 »
I've been laughing hard all the way through this thread!!!!  I love it!!

All the time I was in engineering school, I was wondering how to meet girls (of just about any kind).  I met a girl that was studying social work and was actually talking to her.  But, within about 20 minutes I managed to offend her to the point that I thought she was going to belt me a good one.  I think the only reason she didn't was that she had been going on (for way more than 20 minutes) about non-violence and gun control and things like that.  Oh well, short romance......

Seriously, you might meet some scientific types by hanging around on the Univ. of Chicago campus in some of the science or engineering buildings.  I know that U of Chicago has some outstanding science programs - there may be others in the city also. Maybe show up for some classes and pretend to be auditing or something.  Also, there are a couple of fraternities for engineering students and I'm sure you could get invited to some (read ALL) of their parties.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline briar_borealis

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13/08/2004 03:07:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by tweener
there are a couple of fraternities for engineering students and I'm sure you could get invited to some (read ALL) of their parties.

Ooh, it's been a LOOOOONG time since I went to a frat party.  If ever.  Was that party I went to my first week of undergraduate a frat party?  I can't remember.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13/08/2004 11:18:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by briar_borealis

A little bit of pokey-pokey

I'm a little confused about what is meant by this... having said to neil you are not married, you then admit to pokey-pokey... NEIL! you naughty lad... you were'nt in Disney after all were you...you were in Chicago! ;)

Offline jai

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13/08/2004 11:26:52 »
at the risk of sounding cheesy..... what about if you live in the uk, particularly near nottingham? but i am more interested in the older types (read 25+)...... though i wouldnt say no to a younger man...... i get very bored with guys who think that their suit and mobile phone 'says it all' and who talk about nothing more interesting than their latest DIY project!

yaaaaay!!!!!!!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13/08/2004 11:35:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by jai

at the risk of sounding cheesy..... what about if you live in the uk, particularly near nottingham? but i am more interested in the older types (read 25+)...... though i wouldnt say no to a younger man...... i get very bored with guys who think that their suit and mobile phone 'says it all' and who talk about nothing more interesting than their latest DIY project!

yaaaaay!!!!!!!

I think we would all get very bored with someone like that!!! I'll set up a lonely hearts column, how about that?

Offline jai

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13/08/2004 11:42:58 »
sounds cool, how about we have it as a forum section? for all those scientists out there who have not yet found their perfect match!! and for US! ;)

(small small voice) god! how sad am i![:I]

yaaaaay!!!!!!!

Offline jai

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14/08/2004 10:34:21 »
really weird thing happened to me last night on the way into london from heathrow.  was on the train and trying to change my sim card, dropped it and a very handsom man picked it up for me. we got talking and it turned out he was a 29 year old scientist from perth, australia! on his way back from the states. and this after only hours before entering on this thread! [8D]

unfortunately it also turned out that he was married and had a 10 month old baby:(. oh well. it was a prettly cool coincidence though :D.

yaaaaay!!!!!!!

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18/08/2004 14:53:10 »
You have not added yourself to the lonely hearts column Jai!!! I'd suggest you go for it... there doesn't seem to be much competition, although that sue is a bit of a minx!

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #20 on: 16/09/2004 06:00:00 »
I have bad news for you.... scientists never leave work!!! (or at leats it feels that way)

but I'd be willing to make an exception for ya ;)

That's no moon.... its a GRAPEFRUIT!!!!

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17/09/2004 20:50:46 »
the best way to meet a scientist for 'dating' purposes is to go to one of those 'scientific conferences'. everyone thinks we go for the science, but no, its the booze and ceilidh that we're really there for. its called networking daahling.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #22 on: 18/09/2004 12:02:11 »
fishytails - where do you work ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline petersayles

• View Profile
    • http://www.trudeauinstitute.org
« Reply #23 on: 19/09/2005 21:07:44 »
Visit a city during a huge scientific convention like AAAS or Experimental Biology. Hang out at the convention center. Another good way to meet a scientist is to visit Woods Hole MA during the summer.  95% of the people on the street and in the bars will be scientists.

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20/09/2005 21:16:16 »
I can certainly sympathise, briar_borealis, it is very hard to find an unattached scientist of either sex - they do tend to get snapped up pretty quickly! I think it's the mystery and the sense of danger that seem to go with a white coat rather than the money - not all scientists are rich by any means!

My advice would be to try and get involved in science at some level.  My wife originally trained as a lawyer and I met her when she attended a science foundation evening class at my college.  In fact I think it was her burgeoning interest in statistical chemometrics that first attracted me to her [:I]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 20/09/2005 21:16:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums