The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you advise me on changing my career to be a enviromental consultant?  (Read 15015 times)

Offline finbar

• First timers
    • View Profile
hello all, i hope this is the right sort of question for this forum, oh well, here goes. i'm about to start an open university degree course in environmental studies, with the long term aim of a change in career, i'm interested in becoming an environmental consultant. does anyone have any experience of this degree, is it suitable? my main concern is that it might be too much 'studies', and not enough 'science'. does anyone have any advice regarding environmental consultancy, or courses in general. i can't afford to go back to university again, and am a bit old to be an undergrad again, so this might be my only way into the industry. thanks in advance for any advice. p.s, great forum by the way ;)
« Last Edit: 25/03/2008 05:29:34 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
hello all, i hope this is the right sort of question for this forum, oh well, here goes. i'm about to start an open university degree course in environmental studies, with the long term aim of a change in career, i'm interested in becoming an environmental consultant. does anyone have any experience of this degree, is it suitable? my main concern is that it might be too much 'studies', and not enough 'science'. does anyone have any advice regarding environmental consultancy, or courses in general. i can't afford to go back to university again, and am a bit old to be an undergrad again, so this might be my only way into the industry. thanks in advance for any advice. p.s, great forum by the way ;)

Hi Finbar and welcome to the forum.

I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to say ' hello '....and....well...I suspect you might have to wait a while as your question is quite specific.

I wonder if the OU themselves have a forum ?...*goes for a quick glance*..OK..I found this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=206

What ever happens.....don't be a stranger here eh ?...and let us know how you get on !

Offline finbar

• First timers
    • View Profile
hello, thanks for the reply neilep, sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your reply ;D but i've been away for a while. i've started the course, but couldn't seem to find a concrete answer from anyone as to whether it's a suitable course. oh well, it's an interesting topic anyway. thanks again.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am changing your title in hopes to get you some answers!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hi, finbar

There are many types of environmental consultants. In geology, my field, there are at least two types - those involved in water management,and those that do waste site and isolation studies for hazardous materials. I myself have done both. Aquifer studies for keeping water sources clean and evaluation of the regional geology of the nuclear waste site at Oak Ridge National Labs that my partner did the seismic studies on.

There are other types as well - meteorological, mine tailings control, physics of water turnover in lakes, evaluation of soil stability for buildings and houses - on and on.

Google "environmental consultant" you will people who do a lot of things. The thing they hav in common is that their studies are based on one core science and they usually stick with just that area of expertise. That is, unless it is a big company.

Offline Exodus

• Phileas Fogg
  • Neilep Level Member
  • Geology
    • View Profile
Hi, finbar

There are many types of environmental consultants. In geology, my field, there are at least two types - those involved in water management,and those that do waste site and isolation studies for hazardous materials. I myself have done both. Aquifer studies for keeping water sources clean and evaluation of the regional geology of the nuclear waste site at Oak Ridge National Labs that my partner did the seismic studies on.

There are other types as well - meteorological, mine tailings control, physics of water turnover in lakes, evaluation of soil stability for buildings and houses - on and on.

Google "environmental consultant" you will people who do a lot of things. The thing they hav in common is that their studies are based on one core science and they usually stick with just that area of expertise. That is, unless it is a big company.

With a geology degree, it is then possible to go along an environmental route OR you can do environmental sciences at Uni... I'd go for the geology route like i did and then go on and do a Masters in environmental geoscience like i did. Mine wasnt 100% environmental as i took classes in palaeo as well but i did a fair bit on contaminated land studies, soil sampling - Spectrometry MS and AES etc... it was very interesting and there are lots of jobs coming about in this field now with the government getting all uppity about conservation. Not sure if that helps.

Rich

Offline climatepact

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • People's Climate Pact
Welcome to the forum, I'm a noob here too.

There are lots of different fields you can go into as an environmental consultant. I believe, much of the work is in civil engineering and working for local governments.

The best advice I have is to try and find some environmental consultants in the field that can meet with you and tell you what the options and career paths are. I think you will be surprised at how specific and specialized jobs and careers in that field can be.

-----
newbielink:http://climatepact.org [nonactive]
« Last Edit: 28/03/2008 22:13:37 by climatepact »

Offline fishwhiz

• View Profile
    • ponds and lake construction
As you research a specialty of interest, be keenly aware of how they spend their time.  So many consultants spend way too much time filling out reports and not furthering their knowledge.   It makes for a lot of sad  "ologists". 

Offline Carlyle

• First timers
    • View Profile
I was thinking about the same field... I went all over the net researching and found this
newbielink:http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/Engineering-in/process-environmental.aspx [nonactive] course from Nottingham University. It's the best option around. The comments about their excellent facilities and the tutors are very positive. These are the main things, really. It's very important for your development at the subject to have good tools and instructors. Have that in mind...

Offline pdcb86

• First timers
    • View Profile
Having done a bit of research into the field of Environmental Consultancy, I have generally found that, although it is a wide-spanning market, people working for the bigger consultancy firms tend to have legal or engineering backgrounds (at graduate level), or have done environmental management postgraduate courses. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone with experience in this field could tell me whether I would be wasting my time in considering this a possible career route given my background. I have a BSc in Biochemistry and I am currently writing-up my PhD thesis in Respiratory Toxicology, having studied coal fly-ash as a hazardous waste material (but I won't bore you with the details!). I am fairly certain that academia is not for me and have been considering potential career options elsewhere. I am not adverse to the idea of more lab work, perhaps on an R & D level, but having previously worked for the environmental monitoring side of a large water company, I quite like the idea of returning to an environmental sector job. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, and I apologise to the creater of this thread for jumping on the bandwagon and not starting a new thread.   

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums