The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could a bullet go through tape?  (Read 15092 times)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Could a bullet go through tape?
« Reply #25 on: 13/01/2008 13:25:23 »
Ever the scientist, I have just conducted this experiment this afternoon. Marlin .22 mag bolt action carbine and 1 roll (of 2) clear duck tape I that came from Wal-Mart) hadn't used. I goes through both sides of the tape from 6 yards. The tape was held in place on the target board by 2 pieces of clear tape from the used roll.

I think that a .22 mag hand gun would do the same, and as well as a .22 long rifle cartridge. It went through both sides of the roll of tape and the 1/2 inch particle board it was taped to.

I DID THIS AT THE GUN RANGE, PEOPLE. Don't do it at home. 

Stats:

Cartridge Information

Index Number   Cartridge Type   Weight (grs.)   Bullet Style   
R220S1   Remington® Express®   50 gr   Pointed Soft Point   

Velocity (ft/sec)
Cartridge Type   Bullet               Muzzle
Remington® Express®   50 grs.   3780   

Energy (ft-lbs)
Cartridge_Type   Bullet               Muzzle   
Remington® Express®   50 grs.   1586   

Wow! Amazing! Do you also have higher calibers bolt action rifles to try with?

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
  • Simulated..What more do you needa know :P
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: 13/01/2008 14:34:19 »
Thanks!!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13/01/2008 19:20:10 »
lightarrow, this is just a varmint rifle I bought when I lived outside of town. I would often keep it loaded with .22 long rifle rat shot because of the rattle snakes.

I do not like to kill anything, but if there was a snake in my yard or a raccoon eating out of the dogs food bowls I would need to keep them away or dead or they would hurt the dogs. Very ocassionally I would use the .22 mag for coyotes. Otherwise, not into killing things for sport.

But if I move back I am getting a larger rifle. Feral pigs are becoming a problem around here. I myself could be threatened by them if they were in the yard. The adults have large tusks and are really dangerous.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13/01/2008 21:57:53 »
Do ALL the Americans here own guns ?

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: 13/01/2008 22:03:19 »
Haha. I'm 14, but yeah my dad has a few shot guns and little hand guns

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13/01/2008 22:08:10 »

Being a victim of a shooting I'm not a big fan of guns.  I don't personally own any, but my husband & both of my kids do.  I don't even know how many we have in the house, but I would say somewhere around a dozen.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13/01/2008 22:11:30 »

We have them also. One hand gun I rarely see and several rifles and shot guns. I couldn't tell you much, one is a 38 one is a 22.. I like to target practice my kids all hunt... even Sarah!

I do not like atomatic weapons or the idea that someone would use one on another person. I do like the idea that it is here for protection though!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13/01/2008 22:30:08 »
Forgive me...I am shocked....

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13/01/2008 22:31:36 »
......as I said please forgive me but how can you not be aware of how many you have and where they are ?

Offline Simulated

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: 13/01/2008 22:36:08 »
Lol. Well. You sort of need them hwere i live neil. out in the middle of no where. ya know?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13/01/2008 22:42:04 »
......as I said please forgive me but how can you not be aware of how many you have and where they are ?

I don't know how many because I've lost count.  I don't keep track of how many guns my husband purchases or how many my father has given him or my kids.  

I am however VERY aware of where they are.  They are locked in a heavy duty, fireproof gun safe.  Two things I've insisted on is that my kids were taught gun safety and that the guns are kept locked away.  They both know how to use them, how to shoot them and that they are not toys, but are deadly weapons.  

Having guns in my home is not something I'm happy about, but I did grow up around them as both my dad and my brother are hunters and I married someone that loves to hunt.  It's something I've learned to live with as long as safety is the number one priority.

Also, bear in mind that we do live in the country and have run ins with dangerous animals.

We are NOT red neck hillbillys that go around shooting anything that moves.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13/01/2008 22:45:54 »
Lol. Well. You sort of need them hwere i live neil. out in the middle of no where. ya know?

...but to have Guns that you don;t know where they are ?....or even how many ?....how would you ever know if you have them all if you collected them up and stored them ?

I am (as Brit) naturally not used to the , what do you call it ?.."Freedom to bear arms "...but .....and I again ask for your understanding....I find the fact that the possibility that you have no inventory and whereabouts of your guns incomprehensible !!.......ps: I still luff ewe guys and hope ewe still luff me !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13/01/2008 22:47:53 »
Thanks Carolyn.....I misunderstood what you meant !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13/01/2008 22:55:05 »
I do Know where mine are and how to use them safely if I needed to. I also know how many and where they are kept, which we don't speak of as that would be unsafe. I am amazed that one would loose track also.. We do always check them and they are never loaded! We all shoot at the range..The kids hunt! Years ago we would go to the river bar.. but I was nervous that a miss would go through trees and harm someone so we stopped and use the range. I don't shoot anymore but would if My arm could hold the gun up long enough.. but I cannot anymore!

We all still wuv ewe Sheepy.. no worries!
« Last Edit: 13/01/2008 23:05:26 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13/01/2008 22:57:13 »

I don't know how many because I've lost count.  I don't keep track of how many guns my husband purchases or how many my father has given him or my kids. 

I am however VERY aware of where they are.  They are locked in a heavy duty, fireproof gun safe.  Two things I've insisted on is that my kids were taught gun safety and that the guns are kept locked away.  They both know how to use them, how to shoot them and that they are not toys, but are deadly weapons. 

Having guns in my home is not something I'm happy about, but I did grow up around them as both my dad and my brother are hunters and I married someone that loves to hunt.  It's something I've learned to live with as long as safety is the number one priority.

Also, bear in mind that we do live in the country and have run ins with dangerous animals.

We are NOT red neck hillbillys that go around shooting anything that moves.

Its good to have a cabinet like that... and keep them locked up! I am glad you do!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13/01/2008 22:59:15 »

...but to have Guns that you don;t know where they are ?....or even how many ?....how would you ever know if you have them all if you collected them up and stored them ?

I am (as Brit) naturally not used to the , what do you call it ?.."Freedom to bear arms "...but .....and I again ask for your understanding....I find the fact that the possibility that you have no inventory and whereabouts of your guns incomprehensible !!.......ps: I still luff ewe guys and hope ewe still luff me !!

Well, off the top of my head I could not give an accurate count of the guns in our home.  We do have an inventory with serial and model numbers for every one of them in our safety deposit box at the bank.  

I imagine the reason I can't give an accurate count is because I have no interest in them whatsoever, it's not like they're shoes or handbags!  My husband can list every one of them as well as the when & where they were purchased.

......and of course we still luff ewe!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13/01/2008 23:02:11 »
Neil, you need to understand that the bite of a rattle snake can be as deadly as a cobra's if you are a long way from the hospital and by yourself. Even if treated in a timely manner, muscle can be destroyed forever by a bite, gangrene is a common and amputation sometimes the only option. Consider the damage we discussed about our friend earlier by email. That was also a pit viper bite.

And rattle snakes are becoming more poisonous over time - measurable in the last 20 years: more neurotoxins.
« Last Edit: 13/01/2008 23:07:33 by JimBob »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13/01/2008 23:09:19 »
Thank you all.

You must also please note there is no derogatory inference in my posts.......It is a culture which , thankfully, is alien to me, though there is still gun crime here in the UK......I suppose...I am just not used to discussing munitions with an air of geniality  that perhaps I mistakenly seemed to perceive from you guys.

so...still luff me ?....hugs and shmishes all round yes ?.......oooh Jimbob....is that a colt 45 in your pocket or are ewe just pleased to see me ?....*giggles*

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13/01/2008 23:11:28 »
It's worth mentioning that ' guns' per se has been the subject of a lengthy thread here before !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13/01/2008 23:13:23 »
LOL...Neily you crack me up! LOL! Yes indeedy we do... LOL....Hee hee.. watch out JimBob... I think he is feeling amorous now!!!!

Yes it has and I remember that thread!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 13/01/2008 23:43:00 »
Yep, seems as if guns just gets his male hormones flowing.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 14/01/2008 00:43:30 »
Hee hee hee.. LOL.. You two make a great team..LOL!

another_someone

« Reply #47 on: 14/01/2008 02:45:20 »
I must admit I am a little bit with Neil here.  I have once done some clay pigeon shooting, and once handled an unloaded automatic weapon (our host was a licensed gun dealer), but otherwise, I have not had any exposure to real firearms.

I am curious though about the comment that rattle snakes are getting more venomous - what would be the driving force for that?

I rather suspect this thread is slowly going to become ripe for a split.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 14/01/2008 02:53:27 »
I must admit I am a little bit with Neil here.  I have once done some clay pigeon shooting, and once handled an unloaded automatic weapon (our host was a licensed gun dealer), but otherwise, I have not had any exposure to real firearms.

I am curious though about the comment that rattle snakes are getting more venomous - what would be the driving force for that?

High praise indeed for me there ! *winks at George* ;)

I knew as soon as posted that it could well be a contentious issue...I initially wanted to say that " I don't want to create a debate but...."....and then decided to not say that as I figured the debate/discussion would ensue nevertheless !

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 14/01/2008 02:59:48 »

High praise indeed for me there ! *winks at George* ;)

I knew as soon as posted that it could well be a contentious issue...I initially wanted to say that " I don't want to create a debate but...."....and then decided to not say that as I figured the debate/discussion would ensue nevertheless !

Just for the record, I feel no 'contentiousness' at all.  I consider this topic right up there with politics and religion.  I'm perfectly content to just agree to disagree.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 14/01/2008 02:59:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums