The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Chemical Irritation  (Read 2893 times)

Offline sciencebase

• View Profile
    • http://www.sciencebase.com
Chemical Irritation
« on: 09/01/2008 14:16:39 »
Does the notion of chemophobia annoy other forum members as much as it does me. You know the kind of thing - natural = good, synthetic = bad, cosmetics and other products purportedly made without chemicals. Celebrities are among the worst offenders (with the obvious exception of the NSs of course!)

Sense About Science just published a nice report showing how celebs are abusing the affection with which many are held by the public to put across some rather dubious claims about products they endorse and campaigns in which they're involved:

newbielink:http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/index.php/site/other/200/ [nonactive]

According to the report, celebs like Sarah Beeny and Stella McCartney apparently indulge in chemical-free food!

db

Offline HellFrozenOver

• View Profile
Chemical Irritation
« Reply #1 on: 09/01/2008 14:32:16 »
I hate it when people think they know everything about chemicals and that its all bad.. Especially if its highly exaggerated where in actual fact the chemical does nothing or actually helps the person..

And isn't everything made up of some kind of chemical? Chemical free food just sounds wrong..

Chemicals are awesome.. =D

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Chemical Irritation
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2008 19:15:45 »
It would suit my personal taste if all the people who go on about "chemicals are bad!" would stop using them for a few minutes. Last time I checked, oxygen was a chemical.
Of course you are right HellFrozenOver, "chemical free food" is nonsense, most food is largely H2O and all the other components are chemicals too.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Chemical Irritation
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2008 19:15:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums