The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Is My Boys Poo Green ?  (Read 9281 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Is My Boys Poo Green ?
« on: 09/01/2008 21:41:52 »
Dear All Fecal-Colourologists,

My son (2yr)..just did a green poo !.....now for the sake of good taste I will not post a piccy of it (though I must say I was very tempted to !)...instead...please find herewith the closest approximation I could find to it :

For illustrative purposes only !...This site is not saying that creamed spinach is poo !

First thing I can tell ewe is that he has NOT eaten anything green today !..nor in the last 48 hours...except perhaps some peas and/or some lettuce..and he IS well !

Any ideas why his poo should be green ?

Thank Poo....erhmm..Thank You !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09/01/2008 21:56:49 »
Well they are both green.. could be that.. no real protein in it. Has he had any candy. I know there were some candies that had dye colors that would do that.Has he been sucking on a toy that has green color in it. Or a blanket binding that is green? The dyes on some fabrics are not set well and if he was sucking on an end of a favorite blankie, he may begetting dye in his mouth.

My guess would be first food then a toy or object he may have swallowed. Have you houseplants low enough he could get hold of them and eat a portion. If so check them for damage and their toxicity! watch and examine his poo for the deposit of mysterious item he may have swallowed.... keep an eye on his symptoms and weather he starts feeling poorly! If you still has his nappy, check the poo thoroughly.. which I am sure you probably already did. Is he potty trained? You don't have those colored toilet water cleaners hanging in a toilet do you.. sometimes kids drink the colored water.. can be dangerous.

I would not panic but watch and check his toys particularly greeor bluish colored things..plants etc. even grass could do it!

Offline elegantlywasted

• View Profile
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2008 23:12:35 »
I remember there being a post about this somewhere around here but I can't seem to find it. Your son had an abundance of red or purple food colouring, that usually will cause poo to be green. No idea why...

Offline opus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/01/2008 23:48:47 »
When my son was little he asked me why, when he ate a banana it was yellow, and when he went to the loo it came out brown!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/01/2008 00:01:47 »
Well they are both green.. could be that.. no real protein in it. Has he had any candy. I know there were some candies that had dye colors that would do that.Has he been sucking on a toy that has green color in it. Or a blanket binding that is green? The dyes on some fabrics are not set well and if he was sucking on an end of a favorite blankie, he may begetting dye in his mouth.

My guess would be first food then a toy or object he may have swallowed. Have you houseplants low enough he could get hold of them and eat a portion. If so check them for damage and their toxicity! watch and examine his poo for the deposit of mysterious item he may have swallowed.... keep an eye on his symptoms and weather he starts feeling poorly! If you still has his nappy, check the poo thoroughly.. which I am sure you probably already did. Is he potty trained? You don't have those colored toilet water cleaners hanging in a toilet do you.. sometimes kids drink the colored water.. can be dangerous.

I would not panic but watch and check his toys particularly greeor bluish colored things..plants etc. even grass could do it!

Thank ewe for this KAREN.

I will take all your points on board...I am pretty sure he has not eaten anything green that we've given him... but there is a possibility that he could have taken on some dye from continuously sucking on some clothing !.....but..................Hey !!..I just noticed we're missing an Evergreen from the garden !!..and his poo did smell of Pine !! :D

Seriously though .....we'll keep close tabs on him and start a little investigation !..I'll check his crayons and stuff!

I will report to all the colour of my sons poo tomorrow !!...oh joy !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/01/2008 00:02:55 »
I remember there being a post about this somewhere around here but I can't seem to find it. Your son had an abundance of red or purple food colouring, that usually will cause poo to be green. No idea why...

Wow....thank EWE Meg......ewe have a great memory......I wish I could find the post too.....thanks though !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/01/2008 00:03:38 »
When my son was little he asked me why, when he ate a banana it was yellow, and when he went to the loo it came out brown!

LOL !!..I still want the answer to that question !!  ;D

Thanks ewe OPUS !!  ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/01/2008 00:06:05 »
By The way WASN'T IT FELT TIP MARKER INK THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. KIDS LIKE O PUT THE END OF THEM IN THERE MOUTHS ALSO!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/01/2008 00:07:40 »

Probably the same reason a banana turns brown out of its peel, they decompose quickly, but I can't remember the name given to the turning brown of a banana.

Offline opus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/01/2008 00:09:15 »
I think it's turdification....

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10/01/2008 00:14:13 »
LOL LOL..Yep that sounds good! LOL!
« Last Edit: 11/01/2008 19:27:09 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11/01/2008 19:21:21 »
Well....as poomised...I am letting poo all know that after a day or poo...James is fine...his poo has returned to normal...
..I did as ewe suggested Karen Mam and went through his nappy (USA Translation service....."nappy" = " Diaper"...sheesh !!)...with a set of tweezers.

Hey, we turned it into a show and tell for Charlotte's School project titled..."When Baby Poos Turn Bad"......we all sat round the table and got her microscope and made slides.....Whilst Charlotte was scrutinizing the nappy very closely I sneezed and pushed her face into it.....!Oh...how we all laughed and pointed and laughed and pointed  and laughed and pointed some more!!..I even took photos and sent them to all her friends.................I don't see why she was upset !!....sheesh !!

After we were finished I (as per usual) put the nappy through next doors letterbox !

life is good !!.. ;D
« Last Edit: 11/01/2008 19:23:42 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/01/2008 19:30:04 »
Hee hee hee.. Your so funny! Slides.... LOL! Poor Charlotte! Poor Neighbors....Nice Project! LOL!

Nice post too!

LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Offline Ruth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23/01/2008 11:58:51 »
My daughter had this when she was abbaby. She was very ill and intolerant to cows milk. Fine on goats.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23/01/2008 15:54:51 »
My daughter had this when she was abbaby. She was very ill and intolerant to cows milk. Fine on goats.

Thank You Ruth.

This is very interesting as he really is not so keen on Cow's milk.
I will investigate this a little further now.

Thank you once again

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23/01/2008 18:41:33 »
I believe the brown colour is due to the fact that various substances are secreted into the gut, some of them just as a disposal route and others to assist in the digestion process. I think infact one of the highly coloured ones is a byproduct from breaking down old blood cells called bilirubin, which if it is not properly transferred to the gut by the liver is the stuff that causes the yellow colouration of people with jaundice.

Also, have a link:
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/liver/bilirubin.html

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23/01/2008 19:00:50 »
Yes Me daughter was born and had Jaundice real bad.. we couldn't take her home until she had been under the ultra violet lamps for several days to get the Bilirubin down and new her liver was ok.

We took her home and within a couple days she began turning yellow again, Had to take her back for more lamp therapy Luff!

Offline Ruth

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25/01/2008 20:03:23 »
I dont think some people take this seriously! I suppose we can allow them to have a chuckle!!!
20 yrs ago my daughter was thriving well until my own milk dried up when she was 6 m old (I think now due to lack of iodine - well worth researching if you have children or feel very tired  since there seems to be a global epidemic that is being ignored!)
She was then very ill - failure to thrive, irritable and constant runny nose, hyperactive & the nappies were revolting - about 6 a day.
I told the paediatrician & she agreed it was dairy intolerance.
As soon as she went on goats milk she was ok.
Now she is 20 & still has sensitivities but seems to tolerate dairy now.
Hope this helps.
Ruth.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25/01/2008 21:13:02 »
I dont think some people take this seriously! I suppose we can allow them to have a chuckle!!!
20 yrs ago my daughter was thriving well until my own milk dried up when she was 6 m old (I think now due to lack of iodine - well worth researching if you have children or feel very tired  since there seems to be a global epidemic that is being ignored!)
She was then very ill - failure to thrive, irritable and constant runny nose, hyperactive & the nappies were revolting - about 6 a day.
I told the paediatrician & she agreed it was dairy intolerance.
As soon as she went on goats milk she was ok.
Now she is 20 & still has sensitivities but seems to tolerate dairy now.
Hope this helps.
Ruth.

I don't think anyone here was not taking it seriously.

Lactose intolerance is a real problem. I know many people who have very serious problems with it. To the point of hospitalization.. It is a real problem and one that was often overlooked in previous years. I must say that these days it is over looked less often as years in the past.Now it is generally routine to check this with children who are not doing well on cows milk.

I raised my children on breast milk till they were about 6 or so months old . My Son John had an intolerance to milk and other dairy, and had to drink goats milk also, so I know it can be a problem.. He has since out grown it, but I suspect it will get him again at different periods of his life as it sometimes does with people.
« Last Edit: 25/01/2008 21:18:30 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 25/01/2008 21:13:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums