The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what is wrong with my ribs  (Read 3266 times)

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
what is wrong with my ribs
« on: 09/01/2008 22:09:37 »
last night my karate instructor decided do put some Major punishment on my ribs.

first he told me to lay on my back and put my arms above my head then told the other students there to start kicking me and i took alot of rib shots, then he told one of them th stand on my stomach then told the other one to get on me, then he told them to get off and he got on (keep in mind he is 250 pounds, a little less than twice my weight) then i told him to get off because i thought he broke one of my ribs,

now they hurt to the touch and they hurt when i laugh or lean to my right side, i know they aren't broken because if they was i wouldn't be able to get up, I'm thinking they are either bruised or cracked but then again I'm only 14 and I'm not an anatomy expert

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09/01/2008 22:35:48 »
You could very well have a broken not cracked rib. My brother in law broke several falling off a roof and it hurt bad but, he did get up went to the hospital.. and they found several ribs broken and a couple cracked ones..

You should have that checked .. Is your mom home yet??? You need to get checked and don't do to much as if it is broke you could risk puncturing your lung and that is not good!

Whatever strength training or endurance training that was sucks... Sorry It would make me angry for someone to do that to my child.. regardless of the reason.. I know it is for strengthening, but that is a bit much! I am glad you made them stop! Get it checked!

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2008 23:10:12 »
I think the term is 'popped a rib'...it hurts doesn't it?

Even if you go and get them checked out, they will end up giving you ibuprofen and tell you to rest...or even tell you not to be so stupid in the future.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/01/2008 00:47:37 »
You could very well have a broken not cracked rib. My brother in law broke several falling off a roof and it hurt bad but, he did get up went to the hospital.. and they found several ribs broken and a couple cracked ones..

You should have that checked .. Is your mom home yet??? You need to get checked and don't do to much as if it is broke you could risk puncturing your lung and that is not good!

Whatever strength training or endurance training that was sucks... Sorry It would make me angry for someone to do that to my child.. regardless of the reason.. I know it is for strengthening, but that is a bit much! I am glad you made them stop! Get it checked!

Yep, I just got in this evening and I am livid!!!  I'm calling the doctor tomorrow and will be speaking with Sensei.  I understand the need to condition him and train him hard as Nic wants to do semi knockout fighting, but this is too far.  Nic has begged me in the past to not step in and I haven't but it's been extremely difficult to sit back and watch what he goes through.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/01/2008 00:58:00 »
I am sorry he is hurting!  I am glad you are home! I hope he is aright, but better safe then sorry! Glad your back. Di your Dad ver have his procedure?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/01/2008 01:15:14 »
I am sorry he is hurting!  I am glad you are home! I hope he is aright, but better safe then sorry! Glad your back. Di your Dad ver have his procedure?

Yes he did, but they could only do one artery because he stopped breathing and his leg started jerking so they're going back in to do the other one probably the end of the month.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/01/2008 01:33:02 »
I am sorry that he did not do as well as I had hoped. I am glad that you went....hope other side is easier.

Offline i am bored

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/01/2008 01:53:38 »
so more than likely i have a cracked rib, or popped rib

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/01/2008 03:25:50 »
I am sorry that he did not do as well as I had hoped. I am glad that you went....hope other side is easier.

Thanks, the breathing issue was due to the sleep apnea.  They didn't want to put him completely under, but even the low dose of they gave him knocked him out.  They did the worst artery and the harder one to get to.  He's doing very well.  He had the procedure Monday and was home Tuesday and even went hunting Tuesday afternoon. 

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/01/2008 03:26:30 »
so more than likely i have a cracked rib, or popped rib

Lets not jump to conclusions.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 10/01/2008 03:26:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums