The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Nut allergies  (Read 3116 times)

Offline rhade

• Do what you will, but first be such as can will!
    • View Profile
Nut allergies
« on: 10/01/2008 13:02:49 »
OK, this is a question I texted to Dr. Karl (Radio Five Live science phone in) a few weeks ago. He reckoned no-one knows the answer, but there are theories about it, so I thought I would stick it here and see what y'all make of it.

The question is:
Given that peanuts are related to nuts, and are not in fact peas, why do nut allergy sufferers react to them?

Karl said that it has been suggested that it might be something to do with the way the nuts are roasted these days. And no, I'm not allergic to them myself.

Have fun with this one, people, and all the best to you all!
« Last Edit: 12/09/2008 17:10:58 by rhade »

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nut allergies
« Reply #1 on: 10/01/2008 14:35:01 »
Peanuts are actually called "Groundnuts" or "Monkey Nuts" because they grow under the soil like root vegetables do, e.g. Potatoes, turnips.
They grow in South America, South Africa.
But if you are allergic to other foods that happe to be similar then that might be a reason.
BTW I am not a doctor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut

They are not actually nuts as this BBC website says.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/glossary/g.shtml?groundnut

Offline SquarishTriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/01/2008 12:48:26 »
So are people who are allergic to peanuts also allergic to other legumes?
And if, as you say, nut allergy sufferers are sensitive to peanuts, would the reverse true, in that peanut allergy sufferers are also sensitive to tree nuts...or is it specifically for a protein only in peanuts?
« Last Edit: 11/01/2008 13:36:18 by SquarishTriangle »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/01/2008 14:52:24 »
Someone I know who has anaphalaxis to peanuts has ben advised to stay off legumes as far as possible as she's at risk of developing an allergy to them, yes. She's fine with tree nuts (cashews, hazels, almonds etc). Another friend, who has a less accute (so far) reaction to peanuts is also allergic to brazils and some other types of nuts, but I suspect that's coincidence.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/01/2008 03:43:00 »
I am allergic to Walnuts and less reactive to peanuts, but if I am not careful and eat too many peanuts or peanut butter, I break out in hives.. walnuts are dangerous for me.. so I avoid them.. my reaction to them has gotten increasingly worse over the years.

I do not have a problem with all the other nuts unless they were processed on the same line as a walnut! So read your labels.. on the other nuts you eat and find out if they handle the nut you are allergic to in the same processing belt or machines as the oils  and such mix and can get you!

Peanuts are actually called "Groundnuts" or "Monkey Nuts" because they grow under the soil like root vegetables do, e.g. Potatoes, turnips.
They grow in South America, South Africa.
But if you are allergic to other foods that happe to be similar then that might be a reason.
BTW I am not a doctor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut

They are not actually nuts as this BBC website says.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/glossary/g.shtml?groundnut

We planted peanuts here at my house in upper Northern California for about ten years. The peanuts grew very well here. We have a very nice warm climate in the summer and fall. They also grow quite well in the southern states also!

Offline rhade

• Do what you will, but first be such as can will!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/01/2008 16:20:14 »
So, if I may try to summarise what we have established so far, it seems we are dealing with a number of different allergies here. Some to nuts, some to legumes. We don't seem to have heard from anyone who is allergic to both. Is anyone out there who is?
rosalind dna sent the explanation of the "how nuts are processed" thong which Dr. Karl referred to in the Wikipedia link- thanks, ros ( can I call you ros?)
As Karl said when he tackled the question on Radio 5, with allergies on the increase these days, it is important to try to get to the bottom of these questions. So, I would like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, and keep it coming, people! And, to all you sufferers out there, I hope you stay healthy!
« Last Edit: 12/09/2008 17:11:29 by rhade »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 30/01/2008 16:20:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums