The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is Quantum Physics??  (Read 11416 times)

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is Quantum Physics??
« Reply #25 on: 07/02/2008 22:45:59 »
Planck (1901) came up just short of treating light as particles.  He assumed that the wave sources in the cavity could be well-modeled by harmonic oscillators.  The result was that the energy (E) from each harmonic oscillator was E=hf (where f was the oscillation frequency and h is Planck's constant).  By summing up the energies from all oscillators, Planck accurately modeled black body radiation.  However, Planck never thought of the light itself as coming in packets of energy E=hf.  He just thought his model of oscillating sources was a good one to get the black body spectrum right. 

Einstein (1905) came up with the idea that light energy itself came in discrete packets of E=hf.  This was independent of the source it came from.  In hindsight, it seems obvious, but at the time, people were far more ready to accept Planck's model of oscillating (but still classical) sources, whereas Einstein's idea that the light itself was divided into energy packets was shocking.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08/02/2008 16:46:39 »
And, if I remember correctly, Einstein got the Nobel for that.

Offline McQueen

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/natureoflight/pgindex
« Reply #27 on: 09/02/2008 10:29:17 »
QM is the most wonderful , fantastic development in physics!!! It opens up and expands minds like never before!!  Unfortunately it comes with some pre-concieved litter carried over from classical physics. Take for instance the phenomena of electricity which was formulated before ever photons were discovered, which has resulted in one hell of a humongous bollocks up!
« Last Edit: 09/02/2008 10:38:40 by McQueen »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09/02/2008 12:03:15 »
QM is the most wonderful , fantastic development in physics!!! It opens up and expands minds like never before!!  Unfortunately it comes with some pre-concieved litter carried over from classical physics. Take for instance the phenomena of electricity which was formulated before ever photons were discovered, which has resulted in one hell of a humongous bollocks up!

How can you say that? QM turned conventional physics upside-down, inside-out, and every which way. The "pre-conceived litter" was put through the mincer.

Offline rhade

• Do what you will, but first be such as can will!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12/02/2008 16:22:20 »
I just read my last post and realised I said "walk before you can run," and not "run before you can walk." Whoops! I was up against the clock when I was typing that.
Thanks, jpetrucelli, for the above responce. I certainly don't claim any great expertise on the subject, and was pretty much quoting the brief explanation given in Brockhampton's Dictionary of Science (which is a useful little book) in my "back to basics" comment.
Of course, contemporary thinking tends to see energy as either particles or waves, depending on your point of view, just as where (or indeed, when) the energy is depends on your point of view.
Hopefully, if we all throw in what we think we know about the subject, this question will eventually get answered. Say, where's stana, the guy who posted the question in the first place. Is any of this helping, stana?
« Last Edit: 12/09/2008 17:20:31 by rhade »

Offline rhade

• Do what you will, but first be such as can will!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 12/02/2008 16:26:03 »
Oh, and thanks, mcqueen for the phrase "humungous bollocks up." That's one of the technical terms scientists use, right?
« Last Edit: 12/09/2008 17:20:49 by rhade »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12/02/2008 22:07:36 »
Oh, and thanks, mcqueen for the phrase "humungous bollocks up." That's one of the technical terms scientists use, right?

I can well imagine that it actually is!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 12/02/2008 22:07:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length